• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hexagraph

Garry Howell

Hi - a rather random question, is there any way to find out what blank/test curve a hexagrams rod is, I have been offered one by an old rod builder friend and have no idea what it is! Thanks

Only way I can think of would be test curve it against another rod with a known TC to see how it compares. I might be wrong and I’ve never owned a hex but I seem to recall that the stated test curve on them was always lower than that of similar actioned regular carbon rod. For example a 1.25lb Hex would be roughly equivalent to a 1.5lb regular carbon blank.

The way I have always understood to ascertain a test curve of a rod is to have the rod butt secured to a horizontal surface , possibly using a clamp on the handle , run a line through the eyes and hang weights onto the end of the line until the tip of the rod is 90 degrees to the rod butt . The weight that does the job is the test curve .

Tip actioned rods bend acuteley , probably the top 3 or 4 feet ,could be even less dependent upon the rods action. Through action rods bend slowly from tip almost righ down to the butt .

Here is a link to how some people do it… I would not myself use the rod vertical method , but thats just me being extra careful .

I am sure other folk on here have different ideas, but with the same result .

David .

Back