• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

He's ? Back

Neil Smart

Yep Keith is back, she was spotted below Diglis weir Worcester last Tuesday, just seen on Midlands TV News.....

and the usual ah aint he lovely comments , sickening , especially the head in the sand angler who said not devastating fish stocks !!!!!!!!!!!! one in the Nene at Peterboro as well

Don't hold your breath that the EA will do anything..... To them its all part of the river..... The Angling Trust on the other hand........

How many of you are Angling Trust members again........?

The Angling Trust are aware that a seal is back in the Severn.
I reported it on Monday morning, after I was told about it on Sunday evening, when some of the KFAC lads spotted it while on a work party at Kempsey.

Below is the reply from the AT....

Dear Steve,

Many thanks for the information. We are monitoring the situation and if a reasonably constant pattern of behaviour can be identified then we will call our colleagues at the British Divers Marine Life Rescue. We’ve had a couple of other reports, but not enough to get a clear picture. To call out these volunteers and their boats, we need to be sure that they are not going to waste their time.

I think that we need to look into a long term solution that would involve scrammers (that emit a high pitched noise underwater) being installed further down river to try and deter the animals from entering the river. This would cost about £15,000 - £20,000, so is not a decision to be taken lightly!

Please keep the information coming and feel free to send it direct to me.

With all best wishes and many thanks for your help,

Mark

So they are aware of it, but need more reports....
Anyone else reported it?

Also the 'scrammer' option would seem a great solution for US anglers... just the small matter of 15-20k... but then again, if the AT had more support from US anglers, they might have been able to afford it....

Angling Trust Membership Information

Steve

PS, 15-20lb of fish per day is the estimated consumption of an adult seal.....
That's a few double figure Barbel a day..... he's been in the Severn at least a week, possibly two already this time.....

Are we sure it's Keith? Where's he been all this time?

Reports of her demise were a bit premature of seems. Well I suppose someone is going to have to tag her to track her movements. Looks like she can't get above Worcester at the moment with the lower levels, despite some that think she will walk around the locks :)

so much for the so called experts, what was it,
the seal will naturally find it's way back to the sea, but why would it?

I would have thought Mr James would have been a better name as its catching barbel out of season :)

Back