• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Heron problem

Mark Thompson

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi
I have a small garden pond 10ft x 15ft which on occassions is visited by a heron.Does anybody have a solution to deter the buggar from nicking my fish?
Thanks Mark

Hi Mark,

My smaller pond had eight koi in until a heron got to it leaving just three. Wouldn't have had any had the wife not come home and spotted it. We've resorted to a pea/bean net over that pond until we think of something else. I believe that the plastic herons from the garden centre can do the trick but I need to do more research.

Last edited:
Gavin / Mark, we bought a plastic Heron for our pond on the advice of several 'experts' :) within 3 days the real one was standing next to it :mad: waste of time.

Nets help, but we ended up criss crossing the pond with 15lb mono off fence stakes cut to about 18" long, they don't like that and its not as unsightly as a net.

They are very persistant though and don't give up easily.

it does hit a heron in the vid as well tho.... aswell as scare raccoons!

a mate bought one for the same reason, £63 i think but after replacing over £100's worth of fish before the heron came back he's not had any losses since.....

They are very persistant, cleaned out 14 golden orfe in 2 days, despite people being at home all day on both days.
Tried a few things, the most effective, a heavy mono fence, set on the edge about 18inches high, but you have to keep changing things, the herons soon work out how to get round it, stick a few blank CD,s on the mono, works for a while, failing that, shoot it!!!!!!!
peter

Gavin / Mark, we bought a plastic Heron for our pond on the advice of several 'experts' :) within 3 days the real one was standing next to it :mad: waste of time.

A friend of mine bought a plastic Heron for her pond, within 3 days the real one had attacked and completely destroyed it! Obviously wasn't too happy about sharing it's swim.

I have an electric fence round my pond and to date no fish lost just the odd shock for me:mad::mad:..........now i said that the not so little beeping things will come a visiting:rolleyes: if they do then the high powered BB gun wil come out to play:D

A small trip wire fence round the pond will do the trick or a few shrubs.
If you watch a heron it will always walks in to water and will not land in it.
Did the trick for me anyway.:)

Regards Neil

Its made of metal and wood and has two barrels.:rolleyes:

That video of the water cannon thing...oh my god i was actually crying with laughter...the deer at the end is the best, gives them the fright of their lives!

Back