• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Here's An Idea....

Simon King

...........For the moderators.

If an individual post is deemed, shall we say, "insensitive" or to quote, "personal insinuation"; perhaps that individual post should be moderated instead of bringing in a personal bias to heavy-handedly Lock Off a thread completely. Incidentally leaving the "insinuating" post/comment up for all to view. :confused:

During a time of poor weather, no fishing, etc it's to be expected that many users are at a loose end and may ramble off topic a bit, but to the entertainment of many.

200+ responses and 10,000+ views? How many threads get that?

Pray think about your Customers occasionally (we have all paid to join) and "Moderate" literally.

Mr Frisby, don't tell us "you're bored" with a subject and close it, we don't post or use this site to gratify your personal taste.

There are only so many "Tackle" and "Bait" questions one can contribute to, or sustain interest in, in one lifetime?

Just a suggestion.

Until this is deleted? :)

The Chairman on Tuesday

Never one (nowadays, at least) to miss a Selling Opportunity, might I step in here and suggest www.discountcabers-r-us.com

We look forward to your interest and orders (and promise not to touch them ... as if...).

As ever,

B.B.

Have i done something wrong??? or am i a super mod who didnt know, i was a super mod.

So Simon thinks I was biased.

Not so. There were several 'digs' on the thread in question, running over several pages.

The final but one post was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Happy to discuss via PM Simon, but i'm not going to nit-pick via a thread. After all, the mods decision is, and remains, final.

Mr. Frisby...you're in the clear.

Jon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the feedback. We make it a policy not to discuss moderating decisions in public but I’d just like to pick up on a couple of points you’ve made.

If we judged the quality of the forum by how many responses and views a thread gets, we’d have never switched away from the old forum arrangement. The most popular threads back in those (dark) days were always the public disagreements. Popular for all the wrong reasons…

All the moderators give up their time freely and in my opinion do a fantastic job. They all act in the best interests of BFW, which is what the roll is all about. The idea that they’ll sift through 22 pages of discussion weeding out individual controversial posts is a little optimistic in my view. We all have families and lives outside of BFW…

Just to pick up on a comment you made in your initial post regarding BFW membership; no one has paid for membership to the site. The membership can be offered free of charge to some BFW Shop customers whether they buy a product or donate to one of our charities. It sounds like I’m being pedantic but the whole point is that I/we are not obliged to offer a particular level of service on the forum as all users are here as guests, and not customers. I hope that makes sense.

Regards,

Andy F

...........For the moderators.

If an individual post is deemed, shall we say, "insensitive" or to quote, "personal insinuation"; perhaps that individual post should be moderated instead of bringing in a personal bias to heavy-handedly Lock Off a thread completely. Incidentally leaving the "insinuating" post/comment up for all to view. :confused:

During a time of poor weather, no fishing, etc it's to be expected that many users are at a loose end and may ramble off topic a bit, but to the entertainment of many.

200+ responses and 10,000+ views? How many threads get that?

Pray think about your Customers occasionally (we have all paid to join) and "Moderate" literally.

Mr Frisby, don't tell us "you're bored" with a subject and close it, we don't post or use this site to gratify your personal taste.

There are only so many "Tackle" and "Bait" questions one can contribute to, or sustain interest in, in one lifetime?

Just a suggestion.

Until this is deleted? :)

This is my view, threads are fine as long as they are informative or, as in the current climate, entertaining. I think quite a few of us had some fun with the thread in question. My view is that any comment should not be personal. We all tread on toes, inadvertantly, from time to time and I would be the first to say sorry if someone were genuinely offended. Some of the comments were very much tongue in cheek, but in a way, they can initiate bonding. If you meet a contributor at some point and you have already exchanged a bit banter, then you are already on the way to getting to know them. I appreciate that Matty had a bit of stick, some of the comments had a genuine heartfelt view and some were just a bit of fun poked at Matty.

My deepest apologies to Mr Frisby, it was of course Mr Berry. :eek:

I see no need to dissect things via PM, I'm happy to accept the mods decision. I just thought it was strangely justified, or perhaps more specifically, an innappropriate choice of wording?

Surely, Andy, you've answered your own question though regarding controversial posts? There aren't many threads/posts out of the 1000's made that are likely to bring forth suchlike and, having already stated that you (royal you=Mods) have followed these threads through as they unfold, how much effort would it have taken to make a couple of moderator edits to keep things clean and rolling? In fact, by doing so sends a timely message to posters to keep it clean?

I moderate on another angling site, so I'm not inexperienced in these matters.

Just my opinion. I enjoy the site. :cool:

Perhaps my use of the word 'bored' was misunderstood - I, like many, get bored of the sniping etc. Perhaps irritated or exhasperated might have said it better? Until the digs emerged, the thread had been a meandering and fascinating one.

Thanks to those who have PM'ed and texted supporting the decision - moderating, particularly in the middle of a busy life, can sometimes mean a quick decision or hasty intervention when, if there was time, a more forensic removal of certain posts (with the inevitable follow-up PM to the poster etc) might be more desirable. As a moderator elsewhere, Simon, I'm sure you would know that.

Happy New Year all.

Jon

Perhaps my use of the word 'bored' was misunderstood - I, like many, get bored of the sniping etc. Perhaps irritated or exhasperated might have said it better? Until the digs emerged, the thread had been a meandering and fascinating one.

That's fair enough Jon and, I think, answers my post. :) Thanks.

I've been back, now that i've had a spare half-hour, and tidied up the thread in question as best as I could. I've kept the meanderings but removed a couple of spats/misunderstandings that were lingering. Doubtless that will offend some as it necessitated chopping related posts that weren't, in themselves, a threat to bfw or the civilsed world as we know it, but the cuts were well intended! What's left is - at least in my view - interesting stuff.

If anyone wants it re-opened, just let me know.

Thanks

Jon

Back