• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

hereford angling ass fishing

Mark Graves

i was thinking of joining the hereford angling ass to fish for barbel as i have heard that you can have a good days fishing plus you can over night fish if you like. as i fish the kennet and finding that there are more anglers fishing the kennet each year i am finding that the fishing is getting harder as anybody fished the hereford angling assosiation stretch if so can you pm me or
let me know is it worth travelling that far from berkshire

Last edited:
i was thinking of joining the hereford angling ass to fish for barbel as i have heard that you can have a good days fishing plus you can over night fish if you like. as i fish the kennet and finding that there are more anglers fishing the kennet each year i am finding that the fishing is getting harder as anybody fished the hereford angling assosiation stretch if so can you pm me or
let me know is it worth travelling that far from berkshire

Hi Mark
Moving the problem to the Wye and throw in a bit of night fishing too...just how long do you think it will be before the Wye is in dire straights as well?
It's up to you if you want to spend all that fuel money, and it's not rocket science really the Wye is well documented as to it's potential, as far as I am concerned all you 'London' lads can enjoy your own, and leave the rest of us in peace :)

Mark,
You can't nightfish all the HDAA wye waters, there is a restriction in place which details certain areas that can be fished after dusk. TBH, it isnt entirely necessary to night fish any of these beats anyway as you can catch during the day.

If you are looking for quiet fishing with no other anglers then the Wye is not the place to fish, especially during the summer and autumn as it is very popular now with holidaying and day ticket anglers, not to mention the daily flotilla of canoes, kayaks and walkers.

The grass is not always greener.....perhaps the Thames would be a better bet?

Agreed the Wye can be a nightmare in summer, due to the idiots in Kyaks who consider it OK to shout splash and scream in front of you, this really does get the pulse racing:mad:
As Paul said the grass is not always greener, but if you want to come I can make no better recommendation than you look up the Wye and Usk Foundation website, their waters are strictly controlled as to number of coarse rods and for c.£25 a day well worth it, you will need to book in advance.

I had a quick look at the Hereford AS web site, looks like there is a blog but couldn't find a list of waters ? Can you tell me if there waters are listed on-line anywhere ? I have a house in Ludlow so I count as a local :)

Hi Paul. Hope you are well.

You are welcome to explore the Thames Barbel potential anytime you wish

Allow 3 months at least...;)

Neil. Just a geography lesson.

Newbury is about 1 hour from London. The Wye is about 1hour 20mins.:rolleyes::p

Graham

Here you go Cliff

Hereford & District Angling Association offers fishing on:

River Wye

Right bank: From Hunderton Rough(1.25 miles above the Old Wye Bridge) downstream without a break to the Factory Fence (1300 yards below Eign Railway Bridge).
Left bank: From Breinton Church (2.5 miles above the Old Wye Bridge) downstream to Litley Court.

River Lugg

Right bank: Five meadows immediately upstream of Wergin’s Bridge (1100 yards) and from Wergin’s Bridge 1.2 miles downstream to the top fence at Aqueduct Coppice.

Left bank: Four meadows immediately upstream of Wergin’s Bridge (1000 yards) and two meadows downstream of Wergin’s Bridge (750 yards).From the Old Canal downstream for two meadows (600 yards).From the middle of the second meadow above the Worcester Road Bridge (1200 yards).From the fence 600 yards above Tidnor Mill down to the Mill.

Pools: (Members only, not available to Day Ticket holders)
Little Berrington Pool (Trout)
Rotherwas Pool (Coarse)
Brookmeadow Pool (Coarse)

Hi Paul. Hope you are well.

You are welcome to explore the Thames Barbel potential anytime you wish

Allow 3 months at least...;)

Neil. Just a geography lesson.

Newbury is about 1 hour from London. The Wye is about 1hour 20mins.:rolleyes::p

Graham

I know Graham hence 'London'.... but thanks anyway, yes and I bet you know every inch :p

Last edited:
If your talking about the kennet around newbury most of the time im down there it will be BAD luck if there is 2 people and most of them knock off as soon as it goes dark. However Thames, Thame, Wey (far more sensibly spelt) But the lower thames wont provide the seclusion you seek unless you get on a boat moored out of beer bottle range in the middle of the river. :rolleyes:

cheers guys for your input i have been talking to some of my fishing buddys and they like the idea of fishing that stretch this coming season looking forward to fishing some where different this year

Back