• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Help

Stephen Scaysbrook

Broken Fox chair.jpg
Broken Fox chair.jpg
Can anyone suggest where I might be able to get a replacement front leg assembly for my fox duralite chair.. I've had the chair about 3 years but its seen very little use so I would like to repair instead of replace.. I have tried KP Spares and unfortunately they can not help,

Looks like the frame has broken where plastic surrounding bit would have been in the picture. Probably not fixable without a good fabricator on the job

I've just heard back from Fox.. The item is discontinued so it looks like a new chair .. Such a shame because these chairs are not cheap and only been used about ten times.

This stuff may be worth a try, its cheap as well. Ive just ordered some.

Play the video.

This stuff may be worth a try, its cheap as well. Ive just ordered some.

Play the video.
Absolutely not mate.
A hole in a frying pan is fine but for a structural joint in ALMG that needs a fusion weld with a matching composition consumable like 5356

I've just heard back from Fox.. The item is discontinued so it looks like a new chair .. Such a shame because these chairs are not cheap and only been used about ten times.
I've got the same chair Stephen. About three years as well. Not cheap as you say. The stitching on my chair has started to go. I'm always reticent about buying Fox gear because of their product durability. It's not on discontinuing a faulty / unreliable product expecting the customer to just buy a replacement. Many , but not all of Fox products fall into this category imho.

Sorry Rich, was just trying to help 🤷‍♂️ It may come in handy for the odd job though. :)
Sorry Derek I didn’t mean to be sharp. I just read my post back. 🙏
What I was pointing out is this stuff that melts at 250°c is probably quite handy to plug a hole or stick a mug back together but because it doesn’t melt the parent material (in this case aluminum at 600°c) it doesn’t fuse properly and the joint won’t be strong enough to handle the man’s weight. It will almost certainly fail and collapse.

The stitching on my chair has started to go
The stitching on mine has gone too, Ady. Unfortunately it’s right here… (copied OPs photo for reference)

IMG_4514.jpeg

I tried pulling it back into position and gluing it, after a botched attempt at stitching it back in situ with a needle and some heavy braid… No dice, it kept slipping off again with a bit of a shocking jolt! Got a friend of the missus to have a look it too, as she’s quite handy with a needle and thread, she certainly did a better looking job, but it still wouldn’t hold. Seems impossible to get the tightness required to hold when applying any form of fixing back in place.

Mine’s the version without arm rests. But my old man has the version pictured and the stitching is going on that too, albeit in less crucial areas… His hasn’t had heavy use either.

Not a cheap chair, and I would’ve highly recommended them until recently when they both started to fail. Might have risked a good condition eBay one to replace, as they are lightweight and comfy - but not after seeing the above.

Will treat myself to yet another lightweight chair for this coming season - But running out of ideas now! Yet to find a chair that’s lasted more than 1.5 seasons! And I like to think I look after my kit and probs only weigh circa 13.5st after a big breakfast!

Sorry @Stephen Scaysbrook can’t help with a fix suggestion - looks like a new chair you too though ☹️

I forgot to reply but unfortunately mine is broken in the same place so unable to offer help sorry buddy.

Maybe the lads with broken chair legs and good covers could donate or sell the cover to the lads that have covers with stitching coming undone. Its fairly easy to replace covers and at least couple of chairs could be saved. Sounds like the quality of FOX chairs have gone downhill.

Maybe the lads with broken chair legs and good covers could donate or sell the cover to the lads that have covers with stitching coming undone. Its fairly easy to replace covers and at least couple of chairs could be saved. Sounds like the quality of FOX chairs have gone downhill.
Excellent point. If they are knackered then no point throwing the good covers or feet for that matter away

Thank you for all of your replies

If any of you are interested you can still buy spare parts .. I had the wrong part number which was discontinued but now I have the right number and they do have a few in stock so I've ordered one.. I did notice that you can buy replacement covers to Part Number CBC 059-09 £26.50 But please check the number before ordering incase I've got it wrong again.

Parts have to be ordered through a Fox stockist.

The stitching on mine has gone too, Ady. Unfortunately it’s right here… (copied OPs photo for reference)

View attachment 30013

I tried pulling it back into position and gluing it, after a botched attempt at stitching it back in situ with a needle and some heavy braid… No dice, it kept slipping off again with a bit of a shocking jolt! Got a friend of the missus to have a look it too, as she’s quite handy with a needle and thread, she certainly did a better looking job, but it still wouldn’t hold. Seems impossible to get the tightness required to hold when applying any form of fixing back in place.

Mine’s the version without arm rests. But my old man has the version pictured and the stitching is going on that too, albeit in less crucial areas… His hasn’t had heavy use either.

Not a cheap chair, and I would’ve highly recommended them until recently when they both started to fail. Might have risked a good condition eBay one to replace, as they are lightweight and comfy - but not after seeing the above.

Will treat myself to yet another lightweight chair for this coming season - But running out of ideas now! Yet to find a chair that’s lasted more than 1.5 seasons! And I like to think I look after my kit and probs only weigh circa 13.5st after a big breakfast!

Sorry @Stephen Scaysbrook can’t help with a fix suggestion - looks like a new chair you too though ☹️
Seems as though the stitching is the main weakness on these Alex. With regard to metal joint faults. Why should anyone have to go to the trouble of getting those type of faults fixed? Prior to this item I've had chairs that have lasted well over 10 years. I generally avoid Fox products whenever possible.

Thank you for all of your replies

If any of you are interested you can still buy spare parts .. I had the wrong part number which was discontinued but now I have the right number and they do have a few in stock so I've ordered one.. I did notice that you can buy replacement covers to Part Number CBC 059-09 £26.50 But please check the number before ordering incase I've got it wrong again.

Parts have to be ordered through a Fox stockist.
Stephen the leg itself looks like the metal has been torn from your photo?? How does ordering a new part fix that

Seems as though the stitching is the main weakness on these Alex. With regard to metal joint faults. Why should anyone have to go to the trouble of getting those type of faults fixed? Prior to this item I've had chairs that have lasted well over 10 years. I generally avoid Fox products whenever possible.
I had a Chub Hi-Lite before this chair and that lasted me well over 10 years but sadly another discontinued top notch item of fishing gear.. It seems that when something works for some reason they stop making them. I know Chub don't exist now a days.. Shame

This any good @Stephen Scaysbrook ?? Only down the road.
Mine cost about £95, new, about 4 years ago. Fairly light with arm rests. The stitching is starting to part. So potentially it could be inconvenient on a remote river in the middle of the night. Overall, not bad to date. Although some on this thread have described the legs randomly 'dropping off'. Typical unreliable potential from Fox. The jury's still out with me.

Back