• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Help with hotels with fishing rights

Neil Smart

Looking for any hotels with fishing rights on the Severn Bewdley to Shrewsbury or the Wye with a chance of a Barbel or two in February!!!
Not for me but a friend, any help would be v.much appreciated.
Cheers.

Neil,

A couple for the Wye.

Flainsford Priory, The Wye View Hotel (not sure the name is correct):eek: both of which are next to Kerne Bridge down stream of Ross.

Also The Sarecens Head at Symonds Yat (great food and beer);)

Hope that helps

Keith

Neil,

A couple for the Wye.

Flainsford Priory, The Wye View Hotel (not sure the name is correct):eek: both of which are next to Kerne Bridge down stream of Ross.

Also The Sarecens Head at Symonds Yat (great food and beer);)

Hope that helps

Keith

It does thanks Keith, should have mentioned my suggestionfor the Red Lion on the Wye has been ruled out, I know I know!! :rolleyes:

You have to remember Flanesford Priory is now run by WUF so you'll need to book in advance, where as before the Priory had the rights and it was included in the hire price. A nice stretch though and from what I was told some better fish to be had in the winter.

Stu

It does thanks Keith, should have mentioned my suggestionfor the Red Lion on the Wye has been ruled out, I know I know!! :rolleyes:

Neil

I'm not sure whether Flansford offers free fishing for guests anymore, I think it's a case of having to buy a ticket through W.U.F. (Lower Hill Court).
The Inn on the Wye at Kerne is comfortable and does good food etc, but doesn't have any fishing rights, it is pretty much opposite the W.A.S day ticket stretch at Bishopswood though.There are other options at Symonds Yat too.

Cheers
Mark

Neil
The Royal Hotel in Ross is offering deals around £9.95 per night at the moment. (the breakfast is worth that)

Might be worth getting fishing separate for that.

Guys,

There is still restricted fishing (2 days a week I think) at Flainsford but if you wish you can get very reasonable day ticket fishing from both Ross or Lower Bishopswood.

Adam Fisher can give you exact info on Flainsford Priory. Adam???

Keith

Neil

I'm not sure whether Flansford offers free fishing for guests anymore, I think it's a case of having to buy a ticket through W.U.F. (Lower Hill Court).
The Inn on the Wye at Kerne is comfortable and does good food etc, but doesn't have any fishing rights, it is pretty much opposite the W.A.S day ticket stretch at Bishopswood though.There are other options at Symonds Yat too.

Cheers
Mark

Neil,

The food at the Inn on the Wye is bordering on inedible and it has an atmosphere only marginally better than a gents toilet.

Just next door is Lumley's Guest House run by two rather lovely ladies who will provide you with very comfortable accomodation and a breakfast to die for

The Riverside Inn - A traditional Country Inn, set in the heart of Shropshire

This place is pretty good fishing, it was free for many years but I see they now charge.

It is situated on the outside of a big bend which shallows up to a rocky shelf and an island.

Pellet feeder cast anywhere in the pool will get you a few bites but if you hit it right and cast about 3 or 4 yards above the point of the island you can end up with a red letter day.
It may not be suitable if you have mobility problems as the bank is fairly steep though last time I was there they were building new paths so it could be better now.

It's not cheap but quality never is.

Actually, I take that back, it is pretty reasonable and the fishing is about 50 foot from the bar.

Last edited:
Neil,

The food at the Inn on the Wye is bordering on inedible and it has an atmosphere only marginally better than a gents toilet.

Just next door is Lumley's Guest House run by two rather lovely ladies who will provide you with very comfortable accomodation and a breakfast to die for

I don't see a problem with the Inn on the Wye. Surely you can have takeaways delivered. As for the lovely Lumley ladies, do tell more. When I stayed in that area I booked in at The Speech House, very comfortable. In fact it was Sir Ranulph who recommended it to me. Sir Rannulph and I were at school together and we share the same club. Sir Ran recommends Paramo clothing. He also has 75 (3 boxes) Romeo y Julieta Churchill cigars for sale at £320 a box (£450 -500) at CGars.

Picking up on Adrian's post I fished there a lot in the 70s.b and be was a fiver a night.there awesome rocks at the bottom of the garden and for what it is worth I had 16 barbel with the best going 8/12 in 1971 .when I am blanking I think of those days.the white grub was the bait
Albert

I forgot to say.riverside inn was the cound lodge hotel and they had 8pegs for residents.baa had the rest of the fishing rights.to the left of the garden steps was "a"section and to the right " b"section. Other than the fishing the landlord let us play dominoes into the early hours.happy days indeed with plenty action on the fishing front
Albert:)

Hi Neil,am I mixed up? I was alluding to the riverside inn as it is now.approx 6miles out of Shrewsbury near cressage.i have never fished the wye although I have seen it on my travels.
Albert

Back