• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Help with a rod ring.

Dave McGraw

Hi,
I'm trying to buy a replacement rod ring for a 'Preston innovations Corbonactive 13ft float rod with an Asaki blank'
one of the single leg intermediate rings is broken and I've tried contacting Preston's but could not get a reply,
which is understandable under the present conditions. I've looked on the internet at different rod ring manufacturers
but I can't seem to see any that match. The lining of the ring is gold in colour.
Has anyone got any idea who manufactured the rings for this rod, any help would be greatly appreciated.
I've tried to take a photo of the next ring along I hope it's not to large.

rod ring.jpg

Dave,
I've occasionally had a hankering for the Askari blank Carbonactive rods. However, the prospect of having to replace a ring has always put me off. The closest I ever found was PacBay M model. However, the current series 4 doesn't include one with a chrome ring and gold insert. I'm not entirely convinced they are a proper match, but the closest I've seen are PacBay Minima 3 M in Chrome/Gold.

http://www.fishpacbay.com/wp-content/uploads/2009 Pacific Bay Catalog.pdf

http://www.rodringsandthings.co.uk/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=MIN3MFWCG

http://www.rodringsandthings.co.uk/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=MIN3MFWTCG

Chris,
Thanks for taking the time to reply so comprehensively.

I had a look at the PacBay 2020 catalog and they have a model M size 5 which is of similar dimensions but not as you say an exact match but it might do if I can't get an original ring.

I nearly ordered one from "Rodringsandthings" just in case but as the ring costs £1.55 and the postage was getting on for a fiver I think I'll leave it for now and try to find out who the original manufacturer was.

I finally found an email address for "Preston Innovations sales" so I thought I'd give them a shout as they must know who made their rod rings.

This was their reply,

"I’m afraid we do not issue any of our suppliers details."

Makes you wonder why as they don't make the rod anymore, I only want one bloody rod ring!!!!!!!!!

Is the broken ring broke at the point it exits the whipping?
I have repaired one in the past when replacing was just impossible. I straightened the old bend and put a new bend in it a few mm up so that the repair and some of the existing ring is right under the whipping. then with some strong loctite joined them back. The ring will sit a few mm higher than it did originally but done properly will be as strong as it ever was because the repair will be under the whipping. Put up a photo of the old ring and I’d be happy to look at it for you if you want. Nothing to lose.

Is the broken ring broke at the point it exits the whipping?
I have repaired one in the past when replacing was just impossible. I straightened the old bend and put a new bend in it a few mm up so that the repair and some of the existing ring is right under the whipping. then with some strong loctite joined them back. The ring will sit a few mm higher than it did originally but done properly will be as strong as it ever was because the repair will be under the whipping. Put up a photo of the old ring and I’d be happy to look at it for you if you want. Nothing to lose.
Hi Richard,Thanks for the suggestion but I don't have the ring, the only remaining bit of the original ring is it's foot under the whipping. As the manufacturer of the rod refused to help me I'll just have to use a similar sized fuji, it won't colour match but it will work ok.

Back