• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Help needed re Daiwa infinity 2.25

Tony Bull

Does anyone own one of these as I’ve the opportunity to buy one and it looks new but I’m concerned the joining spigot is too tight and only fits in about an inch which doesn’t look right
Also as I don’t want to force it any further for fear of getting it stuck

I have photos but not sure how to post up here
Any help or advice would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

I don't have the rod, nor have I seen one, Tony but if you've any doubts steer well clear. I'd save your money for a rod you feel happy with. :)

My 1.75s go in a good 3 inches. An inch is never enough.......

Daiwa are one of the few manufacturers that have a habit of using proper spigot joints rather than overslide joints. These spigots aren't meant to meet. If they do, or even if they come close, it means that the rod is very well used. However, I would expect the male section to go into the female by more than an inch.

413672537.jpg

All four are different Daiwa rods, but they are all a fair bit older than an Infinity.
The one with the biggest spigot gap, second from bottom, is probably the least used. The gap is 15mm and the total male spigot length is 54mm. The bottom rod is the most used, but the gap is still a reasonably healthy 7mm. The male spigot total length on this rod is slightly less at 50mm.

I'd probably not buy a second hand Daiwa spigot joint rod if the spigot gap wasn't at least 5mm. If it's much greater than 20mm, I'd wonder if someone hadn't been a little over enthusiastic with joint save or candlewax trying to hide it being a well used rod.

then Tony thats fine mate, if its daiwa then the general standard of finishing is good, not as nice as a really good custom built rod but very well checked out and finished so get out with it and get stuck in mate:)

Tony, i am thinking that you mean about an inch of spigot not going ito the female joint, if its yes then the rods fine mate:)

Thanks for all your advice
Really appreciate it .
I’m now the happy proud owner and looking forward to testing the rod out shortly
Can’t thank you all enough
Tight lines
;-))

Don't want to throw a spanner in but...

I have this rod and the male spigot definitely goes in more than an inch.

I got a Chimera 1 3/4" built in the close season, getting everything ready and put it together -same issue you mention the male spigot only went in about 1"
It felt OK in the action but I just wasn't happy as other Chimeras had a much deeper fit.
Sent it back to the rod builder who was honest and really embarrassed as he'd sent a 1 1/4" Torrix tip with it, so easy done even by the pros.
To be honest if I'd received it in June/July I would have probably ran to the river , put it together, put the tight fit down to it being new and then ended up with a snapped rod from a mad summer 6lber.
Might be worth checking at local tackle shop?

Just another spanner possibly. I have 2 1.75s and have had a pair of 2.25s which I sold on. Have you got a 1.75 top in a 2.25 butt. Then again I always thought they were the same butts???

Back