• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Help clearing something up

Vincent Coulson

I just read something that in a carp mag (im not a carp fisherman), and I wondered if someone could clear up what the thing I read actually means.

When referring to casting out a decent distance, the anglers said he

"likes to cast with the biggest drop possible, 8ft if I can get away with it"

What exactly is he referring to? Any ideas?

Distance from rod tip to lead/method feeder/spod (or whatever is being used) ;)

8ft is 'longish' so 'if I can get away with it' suggests a tree/bush free area behind

Last edited:
In my Carp fishing days's [70's & 80's] my fishing pal and still great friend was complaining that he was not able to reach the margins of an island about 80 yds away. Having done a bit of beach casting and spent a good few hours practicing casting on the local football pitches I watched his style from aside...his drop was a mear 15 inches or so and I encouraged him to drop it half down the rod [original 12ft Hutchinson 2 lb TC]..there was a fence with a footpath behind so he had to lower his drop over the fence in order to achieve my recommendation..."right, now hit it" I said and I can still see the look of amazement and hear the expletives as his 2oz lead and bait, still rising, sailed over the island......happy day's, but behind me !!

Last edited:
Most of the big casters reckon to start with the lead level with the spigot giving a drop around 6ft with 12ft rods.

Back