• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hefty fine for Thames water..

It is simply water off a ducks back I fear and most probably factored into their business model with the directors weighing up the cost-benefit of investing in sufficient infrastructure versus the probable cost of fines and legal fees. The most important single consideration? Profit and shareholder dividends.

2005–13 Thames Water were fined a total of £842,500 for 87 different pollution events
2015 - £215k pollution fine
2016 - £1m pollution fine
2017 - £20m pollution fine
2018 - £2m pollution fine
2019 - £700k pollution fine

Reported profit on last financial year: £513.4m.

The case for renationalisation of some water companies is unequivocal imo.

Last edited:
Between 1991 and 2019 the 9 UK water companies paid it’s shareholders £57bn in dividends.

During the same period less than 50% of that sum was spent on maintenance and improvements to infrastructure.

And during the same period the Water Companies have managed to run up combined debts of £48bn, in 2019 £1.3bn was paid out in interest payments alone.

A lot (1000s) of trees have recently been, and are being, cut right down in the Upper Thames region. 400 have been completely cleared less than a mile from my cottage. An entire woodland has been cleared leas than five miles away. I have quizzed local fishing club members and was surprised they said the ones along the river bank where I fish were not down to the EA. They communicate with the EA regularly.

Before (yes that's an otter)
3DC36297-915C-4EF3-B181-E9D008ECE3E1.jpeg

After (stumps will be ground down soon)
1EBB5231-68E8-4876-8848-DE0920DB0233.jpeg

Then on Sunday I was shown video footage of trees being cut down which housed rookeries. The person who had videoed the act said it was TW who were chipping the wood for biofuel. He lives next to a farmer who could not resist the offer TW made. Another 4,000 are due to be cut down as part of the Oxford Flood Alleviation scheme. Apparently, the EA will be taking these trees down. There is no visible evidence of any new tree planting around here.

Between 1991 and 2019 the 9 UK water companies paid it’s shareholders £57bn in dividends.

During the same period less than 50% of that sum was spent on maintenance and improvements to infrastructure.

And during the same period the Water Companies have managed to run up combined debts of £48bn, in 2019 £1.3bn was paid out in interest payments alone.
That's frightening. How can they make all that money yet be in so much debt?

Privatisation along with being a necessary utility, so they know the Government will pick up any tab.

If the courts imposed suspended sentences on board members rather than fines that the customers end up paying they might take these matters more seriously.

Is there anyway to see the water quality reports of individual rivers? And which parameters are tested? I only ask as I was chatting to another angler the other day and pointed out the margin holding brown/black algae’s and what appeared to Cyanobacteria, both indicative of undesirable phosphate.

There's some truly depressing sh*t on here. :mad:

How does anyone in their right mind think that to cut all the trees down on river banks will help with flooding?! It blows my mind how little these people understand or care.
I'm borderline giving up on humanity ever reversing the ecological catastrophe we're embarking on.

Back