• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Headtorch

Chris Griggs

Any suggestions on a new headtorch?
The chub ones packed up!

Anyone have a Petzl Myo XP?

Last edited:
Saw a review on Adam Rawson's blog for this one and bought it excellent Here Alpkit Gamma Headlamp

Here is Adams review

''I purchased a new headlamp to replace my old Petzl this season. After looking at my options I decided to try the Alpkit Gamma. Delivered for £15 inc. batteries it was an absolute bargain! The light is incredibly bright and has various light modes and colours including white, red and green.

The headlamp also has a strip of red LEDs on the back which can be turned on, a useful addition to anyone planing on riding a bike! It is comfortable to wear and not too heavy.

The buttons have clever timers on them to enable one click turn off and on and to remember which light you had on last.

A superb headtorch, highly recommended! 10/10.''

I must say an excellent piece of kit with good customer service and quick delivery...
Shippo

Thanks guys.

Clive, that alpkit looks startlingly similar to the chub sl200 I have, which to be honest has only lasted a season! However, when it worked it was great!

Always like to have more than one, gonna order the Petzl and probably the aplkit too on your suggestion!

Thanks guys,
Chris.

Agree with Anthony the energizer does the job, it has a bright light and a low price and is comfortable to wear....Perfick

Last edited:
Strangely enough, the lantern aplkit have is the same as the Fox one I have. Seems aplkit supply the tackle manufacturers with these products, only from alpkit they are considerably cheaper!!!

e.g. aplkit gamma £12.50 / Chub SL200 £19.99
Alpkit Bulb II £15 / Fox K2 Lantern £26.99

Really demonstrates the premium the big tackle manufacturers add for the name, and pays to shop around!

Energiser or Petzl, there's a debate from way back in the day:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Centre pin or fixed spool thats the real question.....:D:D

Which ever is cheapest, is my advice.;)

I agree with Clive and Chris, you wont be disappointed.

They are fantastic and it really is a great price! Even cheaper now I see with 2 new colours - that pink one really is fetching....

Cheers
Adam

Energiser for me, cheap £8 in B&Q, reliable with choice of white or red light you cant go wrong.

Log onto Snow and Rock and have a look at the head torches on their website. They are built to go up mountains and therefore should be built to last.

The Black Diamond head torch i bought many seasons ago is still going strong, uses very little battery power and is bright enough for all my fishing.

There are hundreds out there to chose from but you get what you pay for.

led lenser head torches of ebay......35.00 in maplin.
i got one of ebay for 14.50.
not the cheapest around,but by far the best,with 3 brightness settings. :D

Bit the bullet and went for a Petzl Myo XP. £40 off ebay. Very solid, well built bit of kit.

Used it for the first time last night, and must say its pretty amazing I could light up the whole 12 acre lake (not that this is something of too greater use mind!)

Will try and get one of the alpkit ones too when they are back in stock.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Back