• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Have Barbel Weights Peaked

Ian Hugo Arnott

Looking back through the league tables it would appear that the really large fish of over eighteen pounds are a thing of the past. I do know of certain rivers that are capable of producing such fish but I am sure that those fishing them do not want or indeed need the publicity of such catches.

Has BFW peaked?

Discuss.......

As ever

Hugo

I would definitely agree with that thought on the rivers i fish. 18lb plus fish have never been a realistic target for me, but the larger than average fish certainly seem a little thinner on the ground now than in the last 3 or 4 years. Although im sure its just swings and roundabouts. It seems to happen on all waters whether still or running. Or maybe normal service has just been resumed, ive gotta sy it did seem strange seeing pictures every week of what would have been enormous barbel just a few years earlier! i still feel 12lb plus barbel are very big with anything over 15 the fish of a lifetime!

18lb barbel a thing of the past? Thing of a completely stark raving mad mind once you get north of the Humber. If I ever see a fish approaching 15lb from a Yorkshire river I'll consider myself blessed. If I ever hear of bigger I'll be thinking that someone needs to check their scales!:D If I ever catch any more doubles from the Swale, in what remains of my life, I'll be pleased enough. Many never manage it in a lifetime of fishing.

Barbel weights may have peaked or even be declining on many southern rivers. On the Yorkshire rivers nothing much changes. The Trent is where weights seem to be increasing, though I don't believe the couple of reports of 20lb+ fish that I've seen. I've got the sneaking suspicion that the Trent, no matter how long the boom goes on, will never top what's already come from the Great Ouse.

It depends really doesn't it. You could frame this a number of ways.

Are the number of big fish declining / declined?
Have barbel populations reached a balance?
Have the very biggest specimens growth rate levelled off / have they snuffed it?

Fewer big barbel surely means that there is more 'room' for smaller fish to grow through (for want of better expression), in any given river.

Interesting topic

Hugo, what exactly are you asking?

-Have barbel weights gone over their peak and are now destined in the main to decline?

-Do captors of large barbel keep tight lipped now, shunning publicity for whatever of a multitude of reasons?

-Or are you suggesting BFW has peaked?

Is your question one or more of the above??

As ever

Me.

I have to agree Colin (wow, were doing a lot of agreeing at the moment.... maybe your not such a bad lad after all.......:p), I suspect Ugo is been a bit clever in his wording.....

Well Hugo?

Barbel weights or BFW?

Discuss......

Steve

Hugo, what exactly are you asking?

-Have barbel weights gone over their peak and are now destined in the main to decline?

-Do captors of large barbel keep tight lipped now, shunning publicity for whatever of a multitude of reasons?

-Or are you suggesting BFW has peaked?

Is your question one or more of the above??

As ever

Me.

Yes!

As ever

Hugo

I think I personally peaked a couple of years ago. My trips to the river have been declining gradually from being a three or four times a week man to someone who has only fished a couple of times in the last 6 months. I've turned into one of those things I once despised, i.e. an internet angler who never goes fishing.....

Those fish above 16lb are put there Iv heard roumours off quite a few people that there has been a 22 and a 24lb caught from a river I fish and that the bloke who caught them did not want the river getting hammered and didn't want to go through the hassle of submitting a record so decided to keep it close to his heart. Whether it's true or not but it has slipped out from a few people.

Those fish above 16lb are put there Iv heard roumours off quite a few people that there has been a 22 and a 24lb caught from a river I fish and that the bloke who caught them did not want the river getting hammered and didn't want to go through the hassle of submitting a record so decided to keep it close to his heart. Whether it's true or not but it has slipped out from a few people.

To be honest its old news Wayne.
Discussed at length both in the angling press and on most web sites.

The river in question is probably one of the best known Barbel rivers already, with some swims requiring days of camping just to secure the 'going' pegs.

I'm in the camp that if there aren't photos and its not submitted, then it don't count.....
That includes the 26lber I caught from the Severn......:rolleyes:;):cool:

Steve

the 26lber I caught from the Severn.....

Steve

Fantastic, that's brilliant news Steve, when is it in the Anglers Mail?? They would be able to report the fact that there is a new UK barbel record then. Don't worry they don't need pictures or reliable witnesses, just a jump on the Angling Times!! ;)

It's very recent news as in the last 3 weeks but them big fish are still there.

Only my friends get to call me chubby Mr Arnott;)

Steve

Steve,

The old nut case said "Chubby", not "Chubby Cheeks"! :D

I thing he was referring to one Ian Tucker ............

Hugo,

The problem is my over ample fingers hit the wrong key, miss a key or hit 2 or 3 keys at the same time? I need vodka :) ;)

Steve,

The old nut case said "Chubby", not "Chubby Cheeks"! :D

I thing he was referring to one Ian Tucker ............

Hugo,

The problem is my over ample fingers hit the wrong key, miss a key or hit 2 or 3 keys at the same time? I need vodka :) ;)

Crooky,

You know I never drink vodka, other than on fishing trips with Ians!

Fond regards

Hugo

Back