• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Have a go at fishing for grey mullet

Andrew Burt

We (NMC and AT) are holding another Mullet Masterclass on the 13th August at Northney Marina, Hayling Island. If you have ever wanted to try fishing for mullet this is a great opportunity to fish for chub on steroids. We will also be doing fly fishing which is getting very popular, guided by Paul Jennings he will show you the flies and tactics required before you go on the water. For those of use who bait fish we will be float fishing or ledgering, there is also an opportunity to try spinning for them if that's what floats your boat! Click the link to subscribe and feel free to ask me any questions you might have. If you have never tried before it's challenging and great fun and if you are on this site you have all the gear you need!

Mullet Masterclass

Sounds great, coincidentally I was out after them today but they were being extra tricky, only managed a smallish one..
IMG-20220801-WA0001.jpg

Nice looking one, I’m always amazed at the size of the tail. People see them cruising serenely around marinas and harbours and don’t think of an athlete, until you hook one you cannot believe the speed and power that tail can generate, then there’s the stamina…. Great sporting fish.

We (NMC and AT) are holding another Mullet Masterclass on the 13th August at Northney Marina, Hayling Island. If you have ever wanted to try fishing for mullet this is a great opportunity to fish for chub on steroids. We will also be doing fly fishing which is getting very popular, guided by Paul Jennings he will show you the flies and tactics required before you go on the water. For those of use who bait fish we will be float fishing or ledgering, there is also an opportunity to try spinning for them if that's what floats your boat! Click the link to subscribe and feel free to ask me any questions you might have. If you have never tried before it's challenging and great fun and if you are on this site you have all the gear you need!

Mullet Masterclass
I will get down to one one of these years Andrew, missed last years event ‘cos of a family do and unfortunately have another diary entry for the 13th. Good Luck to all who attend 👍

Glad you enjoyed it, good fun and a great bunch of guys. Thanks for your help with the gazebo or should I say marquee. We needed that shade though. 😅

Mullet Masterclass

Im gutted to have missed this as im only half hour from Hayling island. I would love the opportunity to catch a mullet, do you have any idea when the next masterclass will be held down there?

Im gutted to have missed this as im only half hour from Hayling island. I would love the opportunity to catch a mullet, do you have any idea when the next masterclass will be held down there?
Hi Tony, we will probably be having another next year but I'm not sure about the venue yet. The best thing to do is to register with the AT for the newsletters. I will obviously post it up here again in any case.

I stumbled across this on YouTube this evening, I found it interesting and it’s enthused me to try my hand this year. Hope some of you get the same feeling from it 👍

Andy is great to fish with. Never have caught my first Mullet without his help and support as well as taking me to the place for them.
I’m going to try and get down for the National Mullet Club Master Class this year. Had every intention of getting down for the past two years but something always cropped up. As soon as it’s announced this year it’ll be in my diary.

I’m going to try and get down for the National Mullet Club Master Class this year. Had every intention of getting down for the past two years but something always cropped up. As soon as it’s announced this year it’ll be in my diary.
Bill. Before the demise of Coarse Angling Today(monthly) ,in issue 108, Jim Gibbinson spoke briefly about his Mullet fishing exploits on the Medway estuary. He didn’t declare whereabouts, but as a born and bred Rochester man I think it likely to be in the Upnor to Gillingham area. As a young whipper snapper, my friends and I regularly fished the short piers of Rochester and Chatham for mullet. We were usually successful and to my shame would take them home for my grandmother to eat😱🤫. However that’s digressing. Jim revealed that at the time of writing, his Medway tally stood at over 100 with five sevens. Now that is food for thought and a damn sight closer than Hayling Island.

Bill. Before the demise of Coarse Angling Today(monthly) ,in issue 108, Jim Gibbinson spoke briefly about his Mullet fishing exploits on the Medway estuary. He didn’t declare whereabouts, but as a born and bred Rochester man I think it likely to be in the Upnor to Gillingham area. As a young whipper snapper, my friends and I regularly fished the short piers of Rochester and Chatham for mullet. We were usually successful and to my shame would take them home for my grandmother to eat😱🤫. However that’s digressing. Jim revealed that at the time of writing, his Medway tally stood at over 100 with five sevens. Now that is food for thought and a damn sight closer than Hayling Island.
Thanks for the heads up Kev. I do know that they are in the Thames as well each year but there are not too many places to try for them with easy(ish) access. Must get out and have a butchers, only thing for it 👍

Hi Bill, we have a date for your diary, Saturday 12th August. We are waiting for confirmation of the venue and I will post up all the details in due course. In the mean time anyone can attend one of our Fish-ins which are dotted about the south of the country. Give me a PM for more details, dates and venues below.

CornwallSaturday20thMay
/Sunday21st
WeymouthSaturday17thJune
Lymington River,Saturday1stJuly
Hampshire
River Adur,Saturday15thJuly
Sussex
Sussex RoverSunday16thJuly
SwanseaSaturday5thAugust
Sunday6th
ChristchurchSaturday19thAugust
National RoverSaturday26thAugust