• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Harrison MUR 12FT 2LB v Torrix 12ft 2lb

Torrix 12' at many test curves 1.25 to 3.5 - the 2.5 is a good 'flood' rod with a sensitive tip for the test curve but I'd say not ideally suited to casting heavy loaded feeders.
Harrison do a multi carp at 2.25.
Incidentally the relatively slim 1.25 12' ain't bad as a chub rod capable of handling barbel due to it's fairly powerful butt section.
The 1.5, 1.75, 2.0 Torrix are made on the same mandrel and therefore have some elements of interchangeability.

Test curves are very misleading imo.

Take the Torrix 2.5, I use these for distance tench/bream feeder fishing and tench in very weedy conditions, compared to the Chimera 3 which is 2.25lb, the Torrix 2.5 is ‘faster’ actioned and will put out a 2.5oz lead further and more accurately than the Chimera 3, but for casting out very heavy leads and loaded feeders (say 5oz) into a river, the Chimera beats it hands down.

Everyone’s perceptions are relative, but imo the Torrix 2.5 is more like 2.25 and the Chimera 3 feels like it has a tc closer to 2.5lb rather than 2.25. Both great rods though, for different applications. The Chimera 3 being the superior big river barbel rod imo.

Test curves are very misleading imo.

Take the Torrix 2.5, I use these for distance tench/bream feeder fishing and tench in very weedy conditions, compared to the Chimera 3 which is 2.25lb, the Torrix 2.5 is ‘faster’ actioned and will put out a 2.5oz lead further and more accurately than the Chimera 3, but for casting out very heavy leads and loaded feeders (say 5oz) into a river, the Chimera beats it hands down.

Everyone’s perceptions are relative, but imo the Torrix 2.5 is more like 2.25 and the Chimera 3 feels like it has a tc closer to 2.5lb rather than 2.25. Both great rods though, for different applications. The Chimera 3 being the superior big river barbel rod imo.

I have a pair of the Chimera 3
Dave Lumb describes them as " The only barbel rod you'll ever need ". A very bold statement but they are pretty damn close. Like most of us I have quite a few different makes/actions/test curves in the armoury but if I'm out and out barbel fishing these are always my go-to rods, summer or winter, big chucks or under the tip.
A number of my mates got them after using mine and they all say the same, and they are way more experienced than me.
BTW most of my fishing is on Northern spate rivers although I have done a number of Wye trips with these rods and they are perfect for there.
I used to do a lot of river piking and I think they would also make an excellent rod for smaller deads and livebaits for rivers. I haven't tried them as I have loads of pike rods set up , ready to go, but would have no qualms using them.

Back