• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hampshire Avon Salmon

Paul Collins

Having heard some encouraging news, recall a great picture on here, about spring Salmon on the Avon a small group of us are considering having a go on the Royalty this year.
Anyone got any tips, advice or information please?
If anyone could find that picture I'd be grateful to see it. 28lb from memory, from the Royalty, being returned by a wading angler.

Last edited:
There is a 40 estimated(i think) on youtube caught just above the Raillway bridge on a mepps.One area that always seemed to produce them was mugs hole on the car park side about the middle of the green,there is a Drop off and they seem to lie there.Its the area the Bernard Cribbins catches his in the second incarnation of Passion .,I think the man was Pete kite?,caught 2 that day,an estimated 40 and a 20 hooked in Edwards pool.If you google Royalty salmon there is a write up of his capture in a fly fishing mag.

Last edited:
There is a 40 estimated(i think) on youtube caught just above the Raillway bridge on a mepps.One area that always seemed to produce them was mugs hole on the car park side about the middle of the green,there is a Drop off and they seem to lie there.Its the area the Bernard Cribbins catches his in the second incarnation of Passion .,I think the man was Pete kite?,caught 2 that day,an estimated 40 and a 20 hooked in Edwards pool.If you google Royalty salmon there is a write up of his capture in a fly fishing mag.

Thanks Mark, much appreciated, lies are a very important part of Salmon fishing and that's a brilliant piece of information.
Kind regards
Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
2016 I believe.

Attachments

• 45E27103-846E-405E-A1BF-D81B7F7681FF.jpeg
    45E27103-846E-405E-A1BF-D81B7F7681FF.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 679
Thanks, I've been very fortunate to pick up a 16lb er a 17 lb er and 2 18's the last few years, That 25 0r 30 lb fish is definitely in my sights. A 40 in my dreams.

Thanks, I've been very fortunate to pick up a 16lb er a 17 lb er and 2 18's the last few years, That 25 0r 30 lb fish is definitely in my sights. A 40 in my dreams.
Those Avon salmon are not easy, but the effort and many blanks are all forgotten when you get one, size is in the lap of the gods, but just to land one is a great feeling, just fish heavy, just in case "the one" turns up, no point going undergunned, they are not exactly leader shy!
peter

Those Avon salmon are not easy, but the effort and many blanks are all forgotten when you get one, size is in the lap of the gods, but just to land one is a great feeling, just fish heavy, just in case "the one" turns up, no point going undergunned, they are not exactly leader shy!
peter
Went out yesterday and got some 18lb Fluro and same strength Nylon ready for my first venture with the fly rod this weekend. Sorting out the tackle, soaking the boots and everything.
Just seen the water levels, spoke to Davis tackle and was advised not to waste my time. Water far too high, should bring a few in though.
Glued to the water level site and I'll be down as soon as it drops next week.
Any recommendations as to a suitable height? Looking at the mill just above Christchurch. Can't remember the name.
Will probably be fishing upper Winkton .
Thanks for replying.

Went out yesterday and got some 18lb Fluro and same strength Nylon ready for my first venture with the fly rod this weekend. Sorting out the tackle, soaking the boots and everything.
Just seen the water levels, spoke to Davis tackle and was advised not to waste my time. Water far too high, should bring a few in though.
Glued to the water level site and I'll be down as soon as it drops next week.
Any recommendations as to a suitable height? Looking at the mill just above Christchurch. Can't remember the name.
Will probably be fishing upper Winkton .
Thanks for replying.
Good luck Paul,.. took these pics at Upper Winkton last Sunday when levels at Knapp Mill were just hovering above .4mtrs on the gauge,.. current levels would impede your access to many areas.

Attachments

• 8565147E-CAD9-4D72-95A2-FC96DD918504.jpeg
    8565147E-CAD9-4D72-95A2-FC96DD918504.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 406
  • AA0895FD-CDA4-4421-BA4B-3F6CB5AB3D4A.jpeg
    AA0895FD-CDA4-4421-BA4B-3F6CB5AB3D4A.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 430
  • FECED7B2-D1B9-4A8E-9200-66B817DB42A2.jpeg
    FECED7B2-D1B9-4A8E-9200-66B817DB42A2.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 409
  • 0E0EE2BB-228C-49D4-BD5C-F8B12E7A8835.jpeg
    0E0EE2BB-228C-49D4-BD5C-F8B12E7A8835.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 451
Last edited:
Thanks so much Dave
Great pictures and so glad to see I'm not the only one mad enough to try it. Would you say 0.4m at Knapp mill is a good height to fish at? It's approaching 0.56m presently.
Was advised copper tubes were best this time of year, just ordered 3 x25mm and 3x 37mm posh tosh, seems to be a favourite fly.
Thinking positive, not only is the extra water going through it looks like spring tides this weekend, hopefully the combination will stimulate a good run. Was told there's only been 5 off the river so far including 2 from the Royalty, the run's late this year apparently.
Was going to use a floater with a polytip to suit conditions, got the full set in 9' and 5'.
Any advice on suitable methods or tackle much appreciated, let the fly swing, retrieve, fish midwater or close to the deck etc.
Yet to get my first on the fly, had quite a few on spinner and shrimp from the Itchen, see my picture above.
Will be using a 13'6" 8/9 double hander or an 11' 8/9 switch rod.
If you'd like to PM me your number I'd love to have a chat with an experienced Avon Salmon angler.
Tight lines
2016-08-21 18.47.46.jpg

The rivers rising, way to high for the fly, but spinning is allowed at 1.24mtrs on east mills flume gauge, its probably even too much for that too, but never say never, a big floating devon might give you a chance, you will need a fair amount of lead, at least an ounce, and maybe 2 in places. I might give it a go tomorrow?
peter

Thanks for that Peter, can I get that level reading from an EA site? And does that apply to the whole river?
Will be fishing Christchurch A.C. water.
Best of luck tomorrow.
Presumably a floating Rapala would be as effective as a Devon? Paternoster style I take it.
Tight lines.

A floating rap will work, watch out for pike, also change the hook arrangement to one treble, look up Tay plug rig, two trebles can cause a lot of damage, a large (no 5) mepps will work too, just need a fish, and they are being very elusive in this big water.
peter

So glad Peter has given some advice Paul,.. if I mistakenly gave you the impression that I was a migratory fish expert, then I’m a fraud!
I spend most days on the Avon and Stour but don’t fish for Salmon,.. my post and pics were purely an aid regarding levels in relation to Knapp Mill gauge. I’ve often watched salmon and sea trout between the Royalty and Fordingbridge and would consider CAC and RDAA migratory tickets great value.
The Royalty and Somerley get the headlines but the fish have to get from A to B!
As an aside,.. I’ve taken the odd kelt from the Stour when trotting... good luck, enjoy.

Attachments

• E949028F-617D-421F-8669-1F88B715CA5F.jpeg
    E949028F-617D-421F-8669-1F88B715CA5F.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 399
Back