• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Guru n-gauge line

David Maddison

Just bought some of this to load onto my centrepin. Have any of you guys used this line? I got some 7lb which is 0.19mm and i will be testing it on the trent this weekend.

Its excellent line for its designed purpose; hook lengths on snag free fisheries.

It is (assuming Guru only have 1 N-Gauge line in their range) a pre-stretched, out and out hook length line offering a very high breaking strain in relation to its diameter but very low/poor abrasion resistance.

I certainly wouldn't use it as a main line for river fishing.

Hi, my first post. I bought a load of the hooklengths last year (6lb, 9lb, 12lb) and all were fine. I came back this year and tested the 12lb hooklength it was going at 6lb! Repeated the tests, all knots were well tied, no frays etc. Put it in the bin. Still have faith in Fox Warrior, Diawa Senser and any Berkley.

Good to hear someone having the same experience as me, and at least it was in your hand not in the water. I don't like being critical of products but in this case it's well deserved.

Can't comment on the Guru line, but have used Preston Reflo Powerline in 0.19 for tench fishing over the last 2 years and found it to be an excellent hooklength material in SNAG-FREE situations.
I think all pre-stretched, low diameter lines suffer the same problem with poor abrasion resistance, as I found out the hard way with Drennan Double Strength a few years back!

Thanks guys, i might just have to take some other line as back up. I am looking forward to trotting with my pin for the first time, but need a reliable main line. I will have to see if i have any maxima or maybe bayer perlon in the back of my shed. Maxima has landed me some good barbel in the past on float gear ;)

nothing wrong with maxima, it's still a good line, just out of fashion, and bayer is a top float line.

7lb on the Trent? Is that not under gunned? No offence intended, just curious as the Trent is on my to do list this season

you can still get clear maxima and a nice light green i use for trout fishing.
very strong even with droppers tied with it.
cheers, dave

Back