• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Grounbait mixes

Jamie Warren

Hi people, what concoctions do people use in groundbait for feeder fishing? I was walking round a local Asian store some time ago, and stumbled across dried and ground prawns, and thought to myself, this could be an edge. Also, what spices do you tend to use? The ground prawns were cheap as well. Cheers

Attachments

• E4686B73-7486-473B-A68C-CDB456110E6C.jpeg
    E4686B73-7486-473B-A68C-CDB456110E6C.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 213
Simple Brown crumb, with a good quantity of hempseed, mixed with the hempseed water, I sometimes add some flaked spam , or Sweetcorn, and thats about it, when fishing a river that is well visited , like the Trent, sometimes it has to have some micro Hali pellets added, although thats about as far as I go with commercial addditives . I have never ever bothered with commercially made groundbait mixes, never having seen the need , nor ever added extra spices or flavours.

Works for me.

David

Hi people, what concoctions do people use in groundbait for feeder fishing? I was walking round a local Asian store some time ago, and stumbled across dried and ground prawns, and thought to myself, this could be an edge. Also, what spices do you tend to use? The ground prawns were cheap as well. Cheers

Just blown your edge, Jamie :)

Looks worth a try that Jamie.
I've been wondering about adding dried meal worms, though they will float, crushed fine and wetted might be ok.
As good as fishmeal and pellets are, I do worry about both the sustainability of the ingredients and the negative affects on the fish of pellets.
Be good to find better alternatives that work, I do use a lot of crumb to bulk out, and sometimes Sweetcorn. Actually, morrisons sell creamed corned, which is cheap and good for bulking out. Be careful how much you use though as it can turn your mix to sticky porridge!

Definitely worth a go! Fermented shrimp (balchan) is a deadly additives in bait, it does stink though! I use Fenugreek and Paprika😎

Back