• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Greys Prodigy rods

John Young

Hi
can anyone help?
I have bought on seperate occasions 2 greys prodigy 1.75 tc rods.
This seaon was the first time I used them together and noticed one rod was much softer than the other.
I looked closley at the top section and one was noticeably alot thinner.
I pressumed that the seller had put the 1.25TC on the rod and sold it as a 1.75TC so I contacted Greys and asked for a repacement 1.75TC top section and this arrived yesterday.
The problem is its the same as the thin section! So I now have two 1.75 TC rods which is what I wanted BUT has anyone idea what the other top section might be its alot stiffer than the 1.75TC but identical colour, rings fitment etc. Its obvious to say 2lb TC but it seem more can this be used with a 1.75TC butt section?
thanks John

Hello John, i think the highest rating they did in the Prodigy was a 2lb. You should be okay using it with the butt sections you have. As well as the 2lb Prodigy, i also have the Greys x-flite, it comes with 1.5 and a 2lb top sections, which are both used with the same butt section. Hope this eases any fears you may have, good luck. :)

Hi
thanks for the replies
If I was to get a 2lb top section off greys then i woukld have 2 X greys prodigy barbel rods in 1.75TC and 2lb TC sounds good to me :)

Bought a greys prodigy barbel 2 years ago 1.25 to 1.75 wiggled it in the living room,couldent see any difference in both tips though both marked
different,dont want to upset Greys lovers but inmho a really awful rod,
and an awful action,so now stands in my study,brand new and unused.

Last time i ever buy tackle,that i havent tried first:mad:

Howard, i can easily tell the difference between my Greys top sections. The action of my rods feels so much better, than an Harrison Avon i have not long purchased. Out of the two, i much prefer the Greys. But each to their own. :)

I am really pleased with the Greys Prodigy rods. There excellent value for money. Must say I do like my Drennan rods as well but there a lot lighter Tc.

i have a 1.75 prodigy and a 1.75 x-flite and there is a slight difference in the test curves when put side by side.two different rods granted but the same test curve

Well I am baffled now :confused:

Greys say the 2lb TC will not fit the 1.75tc butt section as the spigots are not compatable.

I have just bought a 1.75 TC top section and the one I have in my other rod is much stiffer than this 1.75tc ????

John

If I were you, I'd sell them both on Ebay and get something else. Other than that, take them to a good tackle shop (that sells Greys) and ask them to advise. :)

They were exactly my thoughts. I am off to bewdley for a week, leaving on Saturday so will use them there on the Severn then will sell 2 greys prodify babrbel rods with all the tips and the added bonus of 1 rod having a 2lb tc top as well :D

Back