• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Goretex jacket options

the description says "Ab-Tex Trimax tri-laminate fabric (equivalent to Gore-tex) with 5000mm hydrostatic head", I'm afraid thats tosh, Goretex has a hydrostatic head of abt 28,000, 5,000 is just showerproof.

A garment isn't considered waterproof until it reaches 10,000mm.
I am a fairly regular outdoor walker and find Goretex pro the best waterproof fabric I have in a jacket for winter use, but if its needed in fairly mild weather Goretex Active is slightly better at breathing.

Proper outdoor gear is expensive but is made for the job, many brands out there . Arcteryx expensive Montane Mountain Equipment Rab etc I have some of their jackets and they are great. Look after them and they will serve you well, keep up the DWR coating on them. they are designed around the layering system too.

for fishing I use German Army Flectarn I have had the Jacket and trousers for over 10 years only reproofed it once with Grangers Performance Repel Plus sprays breathable and totally waterproof or if camo bothers you ? checkout Jack Pyke gear in green

the description says "Ab-Tex Trimax tri-laminate fabric (equivalent to Gore-tex) with 5000mm hydrostatic head", I'm afraid thats tosh, Goretex has a hydrostatic head of abt 28,000, 5,000 is just showerproof.

5000 is showerproof ????

why are most Family camping tents only between 3000 and 5000 then ?? I think you have got you numbers mixed up my fishing bivvy is 5000 and been in some severe storms

It's good stuff I have had a set of trousers a number of years. Really impressed. It doesn't seem to russle too much either.

Thanks all, certainly some food for thought. I have a feeling this army gear will be fine for recasting/rebating/landing a rear fish! When rest of time i’m under the brolly, rather than prolonged exposure which is fine for me.

Gerry, I think a tent and a jacket are different, I am confident a 5000 jacket would not be totally waterproof, like most of us on here Ive had numerous and even ones claimed at 10,000 let water in after a while.

atingResistanceWeather
0 – 1,500mmWater resistant / SnowproofVery light rain
1,500mm – 5,000mmWaterproofLight to average rain
5,000mmVery WaterproofModerate to heavy rain
10,000mmHighly WaterproofHeavy rain

What a lot of people are missing is breathability of the fabric, after all we could all just wear a bin bag and be waterproof....

atingResistanceWeather
0 – 1,500mmWater resistant / SnowproofVery light rain
1,500mm – 5,000mmWaterproofLight to average rain
10,000mmHighly WaterproofHeavy rain

EXACTLY !

The hydrostatic head rating of a fabric means almost nothing if the seams aren't sealed properly. Plenty of kit made of fabric with a high rating is utter junk that leaks through the seams like a sieve. Lots of really well made clothing with lower rated fabrics are actually better. A PVC jacket with good seams will be supremely waterproof. However, you might as well not bother wearing it at times. The lack of breathability can leave you wetter than the rain would.

I fish a lot from a boat pike fishing over the winter, I've had 5000 head jackets and eventually the wet comes through. I've been wearing Preston DF25 bib and brace with jacket and cannot fault them, its hard wearing breathable and most of all dry. Unfortunately it only come in black with blue logo's as its made for match fishing, but what the heck.

I notice reading some of that article that they mention neo shell by Polartec as an example of progression of outdoor clothing, but whilst its introduction was met with positive comments regarding its breathability, I think different manufacturers have come to realise its shortcomings in terms of waterproofness - it just isn't that hard wearing. Just another point about the waterproofness of a garment - it should be mentioned that the higher the HH, the more prolonged is its resistance to water ingress, but it doesn't necessarily mean its breathability is poorer. Goretex pro is remarkable in this respect. Newer garments from Goretex (goretex one) also eliminate an outer layer meaning breathability is improved for someone undertaking high levels of activity, but it might by regarded as a little delicate.

Bit late to this one but I was looking for something waterproof last year and after reading lots of on here I went with army Goretex. Paid about £80 for this one
Looks like this it's out of stock at present but I can highly recommend it. Been in some torrential downpours and not let any water in. It doesn't breathe like the more expensive active shells but the fabric is very robust. One final thing, the customer service from Military First was fantastic. I ordered large (I'm 5'11" and 12 1/2 stone) and it was miles too big. They swapped it really quickly and with no fuss. I think postage was free too.

Bit late to this one but I was looking for something waterproof last year and after reading lots of on here I went with army Goretex. Paid about £80 for this one
Looks like this it's out of stock at present but I can highly recommend it. Been in some torrential downpours and not let any water in. It doesn't breathe like the more expensive active shells but the fabric is very robust. One final thing, the customer service from Military First was fantastic. I ordered large (I'm 5'11" and 12 1/2 stone) and it was miles too big. They swapped it really quickly and with no fuss. I think postage was free too.
I have one too, very waterproof, only thing is, it zips up "girly", (wrong side).

Back