• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Golf and fishing to get the greenlight?

Joe Winstanley

Senior Member & Supporter
IMG-20200423-WA0016.jpg

Joe

People are NOT allowed to drive out to the countryside for a walk - that's very very specifically been advised against by both the government and the police (I am aware of road checks on village outskirts fairly local to my old stomping ground in Bristol, and they have been turning back people who don't have a legit reason to be driving in or out of those areas), with the official line being that people should only be exercising in and around where they live. I believe our own Shippo put something on Facebook a few weeks ago asking visitors, walkers, cyclists etc to stay out of Lacock due to risks to the predominantly older population.

As for the point in question - my initial thought was "well, it'll be up to the clubs to decide on an individual basis I reckon", but then thought that 9 out of 10 clubs would probably steam ahead and open the minute there was any hint of a thumbs up from government regardless of what else is going on with lockdown, given that a lot of them were struggling financially and membership numbers wise even before covid-19 came along.

I suppose you have to weigh it up with whatever state the NHS is in at the time restrictions are lifted/eased, because the ban on fishing (and other non contact sports) was all about unnecessary potential extra pressure on the NHS and surface transference rather than possible direct infection in crowds.

Last edited:
That COMPLETELY contradicts what the official government advice is (https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...avirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do - see points 12 and 14 specifically) and what Avon & Somerset Police have said.

I suspect the Guardian have misunderstood/misreported and it probably came about following some police forces telling people they weren't allowed in their front gardens, or they've reported outdated advice that was given prior to nationwide lockdown.

That COMPLETELY contradicts what the official government advice is (https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...avirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do - see points 12 and 14 specifically) and what Avon & Somerset Police have said.

I suspect the Guardian have misunderstood/misreported and it probably came about following some police forces telling people they weren't allowed in their front gardens, or they've reported outdated advice that was given prior to nationwide lockdown.

No.

The Guardian have simply quoted the guidance produced by the National Police Chiefs' Council and the College of Policing, based on advice from the Crown Prosecution Service. It appears that the guidance was not intended to be made public and is to help police officers (from all forces) apply the law in a consistent manner when deciding whether or not to charge someone.

I'm not saying I agree with it btw. But judging from the volume of people out on the lanes in the rural areas I work in, many people certainly are choosing to drive a fair distance to exercise.

Someone somewhere - whether it's The Guardian for reporting it, or the police for letting it slip out - has been pretty irresponsible then. We had an advice pamphlet from A&S police a couple of weeks ago which just mirrored the official government advice and very clearly said that all vehicular travel should only be for key workers and essentials like providing care for family members, or shopping, whilst any exercise should only be taken in your own locality.

Either way, driving somewhere to go for a walk definitely isn't okay at the moment.

Someone somewhere - whether it's The Guardian for reporting it, or the police for letting it slip out - has been pretty irresponsible then. We had an advice pamphlet from A&S police a couple of weeks ago which just mirrored the official government advice and very clearly said that all vehicular travel should only be for key workers and essentials like providing care for family members, or shopping, whilst any exercise should only be taken in your own locality.

Either way, driving somewhere to go for a walk definitely isn't okay at the moment.

Perhaps, but then again the law is the law. And how it is administered should be transparent at all times I would suggest...slippery slope otherwise?

We daren't walk the local footpaths out of front door at the moment unless at dusk or first light as too many people (from who knows where - but they have definitely driven to get there) are using the footpaths and many paths are too narrow to pass people without coming into close contact. This has been the case for several weeks, long before any of this came out.

And as for the cyclists - its like the tour de France at times such is the volume of traffic!

Tom - can you point me in the direction of those new guidelines please? I can't see anything on gov.uk which says any different. It would help my sister a lot as she can't realistically do any proper exercise in her immediate locality (busy A roads and no pavements) and has been turned back several times (as recently as last Saturday) at the road checks I mentioned above. Would be good if she had something official to wave in 5-0's face.

Joe - I know what you mean, I've completely avoided one of the main paths down our high street (instead going in the opposite direction and taking the long way around) as its quite busy and too narrow to observe 1 metre distance, let alone 2.

Steve, these new guidelines were published in the Derby telegraph on Tuesday 21st April 2020.
Communities secretary Robert Jenrick stated that funerals can go ahead with close family members present. Social distancing measures must be respected, but family's must have the opportunity to say goodbye to those that they love.

That right P€$$£$ me off those new guidelines. Now it's open season for city dwellers to come to my village, spreading their $£!£ about. No one in the village uses the village car park, now theres between 20 and 40 cars in there now. Litter has increased 10 fold too.
I cant go fishing just in case I catch Chinese Flu off some dog Wanlker, Walkers, twitchers, biker etc.

Hi men ,

After quite considerable discussion on all the river fishing related site , including large threads on here about the closed season , and the river anglers being vehemently against fishing during this time surely we are all waiting for the go ahead from the government 🙂 , as until the glorious 16th it don't matter .

Hatter

It may not be against the law to take the car 20 minutes down the road, walk for an hour and drive home. But is it sensible in these difficult times ?
If everyone did it this virus would effect tens of thousands more and kill hundreds more.
A very few might have no option, but most of use can walk locally and so protect others. The quickest way to get some restrictions lifted is to do EVERYTHING we can to stop the spread.

I rent my cab off a guy who lives 4 miles from me, i pay my money to him on a thursday, i have to pass a public park on my way to and from his house, the car park has been absolutely rammed. I can see people laying on the grass SUNBATHING, WTF, are these people brain dead.

That right P€$$£$ me off those new guidelines. Now it's open season for city dwellers to come to my village, spreading their $£!£ about. No one in the village uses the village car park, now theres between 20 and 40 cars in there now. Litter has increased 10 fold too.
I cant go fishing just in case I catch Chinese Flu off some dog Wanlker, Walkers, twitchers, biker etc.
Blimey Jon's morphed into Victor Meldrew...😫

I rent my cab off a guy who lives 4 miles from me, i pay my money to him on a thursday, i have to pass a public park on my way to and from his house, the car park has been absolutely rammed. I can see people laying on the grass SUNBATHING, WTF, are these people brain dead.

The parks around me in north London are getting busier every day, today there were more sunbathers, a few picnics. We had police in the parks and police helicopters buzzing around at Easter weekend, I think people are going to need more unsubtle reminders as things go on. The good weather is a good and bad thing

We’ll not change human nature unfortunately. We are a pretty obedient bunch in the UK though

Back