• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Golden Mahseer

Thanks for that,..looks great, certainly the fish of my dreams !;)
I recall reading a good article in CAT a few years ago penned by one or two of those guys about their mahseer trips. It included a pic of some enormous paw prints left in the sand on the river beach from the previous night. Note to myself,...remember to zip up tent door at night, and take a big stick if nature calls !!

Nothing beats Mahseer for a barbel fisherman and this trip with Misty Dhillon is one of the few left that you have some hope in catching them in what is a spectacular area.Dave its not only the big cats you have to worry about the Elephants are worse.Though this area is heavily populated,with little wildlife.Thanks Anthony for reminding me i need to book up to go again.

Nothing beats Mahseer for a barbel fisherman and this trip with Misty Dhillon is one of the few left that you have some hope in catching them in what is a spectacular area.Dave its not only the big cats you have to worry about the Elephants are worse.Though this area is heavily populated,with little wildlife.Thanks Anthony for reminding me i need to book up to go again.

Having walked around Tescos a few times, I'm used to a few 'elephants' sharing my space!:rolleyes:
Seriously though Mark, I didn't consider them...!

Messrs Wilson and Bailey got me interested in a Mahseer trip yonks ago, but all I seem to hear now is that things ain't what they used to be,..so what's changed ?
Has access to the best fishing become restricted for whatever reason, or aren't the big fish there anymore?
Any thoughts?

Lots of issues, down south on the Carvery stupid new laws made by rich Indians stopped fishing completely,even catch and release, in national parks.Now the poor locals who relied on the money from foreign fisherman, dynamite the rivers to be able to eat --so 30 years of sanctuary/very prolific/protected fishing has gone in one year.Silly stocking of the wrong species --silver/blue mahseer which had started to hybridize with both the golden and original silvers and a muddy brown coloured mahseer also was stocked,which will also hybridize instead of the 2 main original types being farmed and reintroduced.I fished another section of the carvery 200 miles upstream and the 25 miles of promised exclusive fishing turned into only 1 mile within private coffee plantation worth fishing, and then we were kept away from it the rest -24 miles was devoid of fish/life with heavy 150lb night lines tied to trees,our guide did not seem to care.Up north where this video clip was taken the pressure on the rivers is intense--the area is protected by the temple but is still poached,night lined and netted,all around,the fishing can be spectacular if you arrive at the exact time the main river(glacier fed) colours up. and the side river(spring fed and clear) then gets a good run of fish .Eight people on my last trip wasted a week and 3 grand each for 1 fish which came first cast on the first day.The Indian government needs to understand poor people need to eat and conservation does not come into the equation when you are starving and poor.The money catch and release can bring pays for the conservation/poaching patrols and puts big money into the local community.They liken catch and release fishing to shooting tigers,the same people stopped tiger tourism and closed the parks, because they thought the stress on the tigers might effect conservation,(a lot less stress than being shot or trapped),where is the money going to come from to run poaching patrols if viewing trips into the parks are stopped and there are no tourists.They realized that law needed to change and reverted back,pity they do not allow Corbett national park to be reopened for fishing.

Last edited:
Great reply Mark,..thanks. It seems a pity that such a great resource cannot be better managed for all. As angling tourists, we have to respect and understand the local population's need to put food on the table I guess , let's hope the authorities come up with a viable solution before it's too late.

I am just about to book a trip with Misty Dhillon any tackle tips etc any tips would be greatly appreciated .I'll check out Stu Walkers film too.
Ta,

Mark.

Misty, will give you details of what you need,if lure fishing you will need to upgrade your split rings and hooks,owner st66 hooks and owner split rings,he has a list of rapalas to take.I myself thought it might be a good idea to try Devon minnows looking like a stone loach on a paternoster( with a rubber bouncing bomb instead of lead) (there were lots in the river).Ask him what would be the best time for your trip before booking you can miss out if your timings are out with river conditions.If fly fishing you will need to step it up a bit they can crush most hooks.You should have an incredible trip,The scenery can be amazing.Misty runs the most professional camps, guides and trips.Book direct through Misty not through agents this will save you lots. Pm to you Mark

Thanks Mark , I think we will pass this year due to circumstances beyond our control.
Best
Mark.

Last edited:
After a lot of research, myself and a friend have booked a trip with Misty for October 2017. Anyone going/been this year? Any thoughts/hints/tips greatly appreciated. A work colleague has recommended I stock up on Imodium plus..:eek:

Back