• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Glugs

Adrian Cole

Having read the thread titled 'Too Strong' this got me thinking with regards to making your own 'Glugs'.

I searched the net for base mixes but too no avail, my search criteria is probably wrong though! What I was considering is creating a base mix similar in consistency to 'Golden Syrup' but without the excessive sweetness leaving me a sticky liquid that I can flavour myself . Has anybody pursued this line of home bait development, if so how?

I will search the net again but along food sauce recipes etc and see what turns up there.

Cheers

Adie

Last edited:
Hi Adrian,

Supermarket bases, flavours and oils for dips/glugs

If you want an instant dip that sticks, then try glycerine as a base (cake/baking department) adding colours and flavours of your choice, but not TOO heavey on flavours, try Thai fish sauce....oyster sauce....anchovy extract...the list is endless.

(You can of course just use Marmite............:D)

For a long term glug, liquid fish protein from any bait supplier is hard to beat, with or without your boilie flavour added, or any of the above sauces/liquids.

As for oils...'Good oil'...a cheap way of buying pure hemp oil (about £6 for half a litre, as I recall)

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Adrian,

If you want an instant dip that sticks, then try glycerine as a base (cake/baking department) adding colours and flavours of your choice, but not TOO heavey on flavours, try Thai fish sauce....oyster sauce....anchovy extract...the list is endless.

For a long term glug, liquid fish protein from any bait supplier is hard to beat, with or without your boilie flavour added, or any of the above sauces/liquids.

As for oils...'Good oil'...a cheap way of buying pure hemp oil (about £6 for half a litre, as I recall)

Cheers, Dave.

Very helpful, thanks.

Hi Adrian,

Cheers, Dave.

What the hell?

Sorry David, I logged in to amend my original post and somehow deleted it & then got dragged away by the wife. I intended to come back and re-post but you beat me too it.

OK, having searched again, it would appear that the general though is that as David has already suggested 'Glycerine' (food grade) is the base for most commercial glugs.

I had considered using oils as a base being slow to break down (if ever) and viscous, but feel the use of oils is already high enough in baits. Again for flavours I considered the use of spices etc but also wondered if adding real food produce like liquidized fish (anchovy) would work in a glug; whilst not used in Barbel fishing I suppose fruits (strawberries, pineapple) could be used as well? I once saw a Matt Hayes fishing program when they fished a still water somewhere in Europe and were catching Carp on hair rigged fresh strawberries..they even filmed it with an underwater cam.

Cheers

Adie

OK, having searched again, it would appear that the general though is that as David has already suggested 'Glycerine' (food grade) is the base for most commercial glugs.

I had considered using oils as a base being slow to break down (if ever) and viscous, but feel the use of oils is already high enough in baits. Again for flavours I considered the use of spices etc but also wondered if adding real food produce like liquidized fish (anchovy) would work in a glug; whilst not used in Barbel fishing I suppose fruits (strawberries, pineapple) could be used as well? I once saw a Matt Hayes fishing program when they fished a still water somewhere in Europe and were catching Carp on hair rigged fresh strawberries..they even filmed it with an underwater cam.

Cheers

Adie

Hi again Adie,

Liquidized fresh fish and shellfish (squid is superb) in boilies is fine, providing you use them fairly quickly or freeze them....but in a glug, you would have to use it and dump it within 24hrs I would think, unless you added a lot of preservative.

I never saw that MH film using fresh strawberries...we tried them, and failed miserably, and were told it was the esters in strawberry flavour that actually worked, not the flavour as such....then again, I aint MH :D Mind you, one of the first home made boilie fruit flavours I can remember was strawberry Nesquick (still available, and still works)

Incidentally, the finest strawberry flavour I ever came across, bar none, was Nash strawberry oil palatant....and you can use that in/as a glug. Just a thought.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi again Adie,

Liquidized fresh fish and shellfish (squid is superb) in boilies is fine, providing you use them fairly quickly or freeze them....but in a glug, you would have to use it and dump it within 24hrs I would think, unless you added a lot of preservative.

I never saw that MH film using fresh strawberries...we tried them, and failed miserably, and were told it was the esters in strawberry flavour that actually worked, not the flavour as such....then again, I aint MH :D Mind you, one of the first home made boilie fruit flavours I can remember was strawberry Nesquick (still available, and still works)

Incidentally, the finest strawberry flavour I ever came across, bar none, was Nash strawberry oil palatant....and you can use that in/as a glug. Just a thought.

Cheers, Dave.

I suspected that anything using fresh produce would have to used quickly but thought I read that Glycerine was a preservative? Even so the benefit of making your own allows you to control how much you make and control the wastage.

Cheers

Adie

I have experimented a fair amount with home made glugs of one sort or another, glycerine is a good base to use but does have a tendency to dry baits out make them rock hard in my experience.

Fish sauce has been mentioned and is a great liquid used straight as a glug or as an additive to a glycerine or oil base, it is also PVA friendly.

If you feel like going down the oil route then Cod liver oil is cheap and obtainable, it can be used as a base and blended with other flavors. I have added various curry and shrimp pastes to it and they have all worked pretty well.

Marmite is a great glug in my opinion as it takes a while to disperse; it does seem to attract alot of Chub though!

Minameno if you can find it also lends it self well as a carrier for other flavors.

This link may be useful as a starting place.

http://www.fishforcarp.com/html/bait soaks.htm

Tom

Pallatrax do a glug which is designed to exactly what you want,all you do is add your chosen flavor,check it out..hope this helps

Luke

I've got a small pot of source glug and shelf life boilies still after 4 years, looks and smells OK to me, the boilies are quiet soft, i reckon I'll keep them to see how long they last....ha,ha,ha.

I've got a small pot of source glug and shelf life boilies still after 4 years, looks and smells OK to me, the boilies are quiet soft, i reckon I'll keep them to see how long they last....ha,ha,ha.

Hi Dave,

Went to Le Quis to try French carping a good few years ago, and used the Nash boilies that were supplied on site. They were supposed to be freezer baits, but we noticed that despite the heat of the French sun, the boilies didn't seem to be going off. Just for fun, I took the half kilo or so I had left home with me, and hung them up on a nail in my garage, in their original polythene bag, with the top left open.

I can't remember now how many years they were there, but I threw them away eventually...pretty much the same as the day I hung them there :eek:

I can only assume that the preservative was a bigger percentage of the overal base mix than all the other ingredients added together :D

Cheers, Dave.

Don't buy your glycerin from the bakery section of the supermarket, pop to the pharmacy section of same store or take a trip to the local chemists. You get far more for your money for the same product.

Back