• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Glueing Elips...

Andreas Opitz

Hi,

I recently bought some Hinders Elips 10mm pellets for the first time and intially I tried to super glue two together to create a pair so I could pellet band them.

When I got to the bank, pretty much every single pair I had glued had come apart (i had glued them two days before with varying amounts of glue in between each pellet just in case).

Tried drilling obviously and that works but it would be nice to know if there is another gluing method that really works with these kinds of pellets? It seemed as if there was too much oil interfering with the superglue?

I've never had any problems when glueing a couple of elips to a hair. But, I've got to ask the question: if you're pellet banding them, why do you need to glue them at all?

R.

Hi Andreas , Never had that problem , however i glue them direct onto the hair and they last until i get a bite ! which is quite frequently on the Wye ! :D:D:D

Give the pellets a wipe on your pants (to the face your gluing!)before applying the glue, they tend to be covered in dust and this could be the issue causing yours to come unstuck?

Graham

I'm a Yorkshire man and even with that sort of heritage I cannot claim anywhere near as many - mind you 7 barbel would mean at least 7 sessions.

Andreas - try the superglue gel you might find it a little easier though as Robin says just glue straight on the hair before you fish.

Atb

Les

if you look at the profile of an ellips pellets it is flatter on one side , these are the sides to stick together , also you can take a small nail file and file these two sides so that they are flatter . you dont need to band them , you can super glue them on to a single strand hair or a looped hair can give a better hold , when you need to rebait ( when the crayfish have whittled your bait to nothing on the river lea ) tear off the remains and start again.

richard

I use the salmon ellipse pellets from T7 and just drill a hole through the shortest side and thread two on the hair. No need for glue IMO..... Horses for course though I guess....

Graham - must've been seven very quick fish? Surely due an entry in the Guinness book? :)

try drilling them at home first with a 2mm drill n a dremmel drill.
aldi do a cordless dremmel drill which is spot on for the job,just done a full pot for hook baits in 15 mins....brill.:D

Never ceases to amaze me how somefellas can keep a count of the respective quantities of fish caught in a session.When I get to 30 I lose count !!

It was on the Wye...........................last season.

2 x 10ml superglued elips will stay on unless you have the chub to worry about. The water temp doesn't need to be too high either.

I don't know why everyone makes somethings so difficult. I tie a hair loop as it gives longer purchase to the glue, and glue the elips (flattest side as said) by placing one on the bait lid, add a drop of Superglue, place loop on, put a drop on the other pellet, add it and press down till fairly stuck.

Pick up and press between forefinger and thumb for approx 20 secs. Done.

You can also superglue small groups of pellets and leaving gaps on the hair sometimes fools the big girls.

Neil, dont be a

I'm claiming the record. Unless........................

Last edited:
I don't know why everyone makes somethings so difficult. I tie a hair loop as it gives longer purchase to the glue, and glue the elips (flattest side as said) by placing one on the bait lid, add a drop of Superglue, place loop on, add the other pellet and press down till fairly stuck.

Pick up and press between forefinger and thung for approx 20 secs. Done.

Couldn't agree more but bait bands on the hair end don't take 20 seconds, try 2 - 3 and thats with my ham fisted fingers and chub playing with the bait doesn't knock 'em off neeva ! !
(a band expander does make life easier though);)

I spose some will over complicate matters, cue: Which knot to tie a band on too a hair......
(I use a palomar):rolleyes::rolleyes:

I tend to shave a flat face on each elips with a craft knife and then glue straight onto the hair rig. Having said that I caught most of my fish on the Wye with a banded large elips straight onto the shank of the hook, just score a groove in the pellet for the band.

Back