• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ghost carp in Birmingham city centre.

Graham Tremble

Walking past a canal in Digbeth ( Birmingham city centre ) I could not resist looking over a bridge and gazing into the water. The first thing that surprised me was that the canal was alive with small roach. Then a Ghost carp of about 5 lb swam beneath me! How on earth can a Ghost carp be found in a canal in the centre of Birmingham?
G.T.

Nicholas Cole

Walking past a canal in Digbeth ( Birmingham city centre ) I could not resist looking over a bridge and gazing into the water. The first thing that surprised me was that the canal was alive with small roach. Then a Ghost carp of about 5 lb swam beneath me! How on earth can a Ghost carp be found in a canal in the centre of Birmingham?
G.T.
There used to be a few kois in the city centre canals years back. I've seen and caught them. I suspect they were dumped there.

Joe Winstanley

Plenty of garden centres and aquatics shops sell them as fingerlings for people to stock in their garden ponds and they can quickly outgrow the ponds they are stocked into. Not a huge surprise if people introduce them to canals etc. They have found their way into other waters through misguided stockings including Redmire of all places! :eek:

Nicholas Cole

Plenty of garden centres and aquatics shops sell them as fingerlings for people to stock in their garden ponds and they can quickly outgrow the ponds they are stocked into. Not a huge surprise if people introduce them to canals etc. They have found their way into other waters through misguided stockings including Redmire of all places! :eek:
Pretty sure I read that they have all been removed from Redmire as part of its reinstatement. But they had indeed been introduced there.

Simon Archer

There was a Goldfish on the factory wall section of the Loughborough canal a few years ago. It got caught in matches on there, went about 3lbs.

Lee White

Thats nothing there was a canal in St Helens where you could catch cichlids from, years ago and still produces werid fish today it use to be hot water and a local petime shop closed down and emptied it's remaining stock into said canal

Stephen Crowhurst

All sorts of stuff out there.

The D.Stour has Terrapins, I’ve seen two of those with my own eyes. There’s also Goldfish. Heard rumours years ago of Sturgeon.
The H.Avon has Koi and Grassies, there’s quite a well known Gold Koi.

Somewhere over time I’ve seen a Pleco but I can’t remember for the life of me where and it may never of survived long term.

Chris Allcock

There was a big koi I spotted yrs ago. On my local cut. Wyrley and essington. The when I was fishing last month with my nipper, a chap showed me a koi that was spotted by bentley Bridge on his phone, it was a big bugger. Could have possibly been the one I saw yrs ago. I also saw a red eared slider once basking on a lilypad again on the Wyrley and essington.

David Rogers

Pretty sure I read that they have all been removed from Redmire as part of its reinstatement. But they had indeed been introduced there.
That wasn't a deliberate stocking though - members of the family that owned the estate at that time rescued ghost carp from a small pool next to the manager's cottage when it started to lose water, leaving the fish in distress. Rather than see them die, they put them into Redmire, not realising what the consequences would be. As you correctly state, all the ghost carp were removed during the restoration work that took place a couple of years ago.