• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Garlic spam at sainsburys

Mark Dawson

Just got some garlic spam from sainsburys,not the stinky french garlic tins but a new limited edition they are promoting.
Worth a look maybe!

Why not flavour luncheon meat with garlic?? Also luncheon meat soaked in marmite has done the trick for me on alot of occasions!

Why not flavour luncheon meat with garlic?? Also luncheon meat soaked in marmite has done the trick for me on alot of occasions!

Why bother? It costs the same as an ordinary tin of Spam anyway. Buying a tin of Spam and some garlic flavouring would actually cost more.

Got mine from Scunthorpe Jon,would expect them to sell it in other areas as well.
Got some black pepper as well recently.

Fair point lads, it's keeping it on that's a problem Iv used elastic band to keep meat on the hooks with no problem on slow flowing rivers and for pond fishing but it's a bit tricky For me on the TT any reccomendations for a good meat stop?
Regards

Cheers for the tip just got the last 3 tins

the woman on the counter told me she always sell it to men and always a good few tins at a time lol lol

i told it keeps dodgey women away lol lol

Sean

Fair point lads, it's keeping it on that's a problem Iv used elastic band to keep meat on the hooks with no problem on slow flowing rivers and for pond fishing but it's a bit tricky For me on the TT any reccomendations for a good meat stop?
Regards

Hair rig it. Plenty of alternatives to use as a stop, I favour the Fox meat stops.

i got some from stroud in glos a little while ago, looked a right nutter whith a garlic spam fetish cos i bought a basket full:)
allso had to explain to the missus why on going to sainsburys for cat food i come home with enough garlic spam to survive a nuclear war:D

Hair rig it. Plenty of alternatives to use as a stop, I favour the Fox meat stops.

I always hair rig meat mate unless I'm fishing the meat in the margins for carp (not very often nowadays) mate but will check the fox meat stops out cheers

Some fry the stuff, cut in to strips and fry two sides only, this firms up the outside of the meat you need, but still leeches out flavour.
Actually I am not at all sure hair rigging is always the best method, burying the hook seems to get better hookups at times, perhaps hiding the hook helps?

Actually I am not at all sure hair rigging is always the best method, burying the hook seems to get better hookups at times, perhaps hiding the hook helps?

I wouldn't suggest that it's better in any way other than I can keep a hair rigged lump of meat on the hook longer.;)

What I did Find a few month ago is leave the meat exposed then the surface goes hard and the internal stays soft which make it ideal for hair rigging and still holds it's flavour and juices.

The fox meat stops look amazing however the price of them is far from amazing at £2.50 Each (lottery winners choice)

I hair rig mine and use the Fox pellet pegs , Comes in two sizes and never had a problem with the meat comming of :)

Hi Joe...long time no see, got a good dose of the man 'flu so not been out last few days:(
Thanks for the tip on those fox stops, I got quite a few in my bag, but find for hair rigging pellets or boilies you are left with such a long hair they don't suit me, prefer the dumb bell types, but the Fox stops do hold the pellets on the hair when the chub are being crafty ,'tis true..

The fox meat stops look amazing however the price of them is far from amazing at £2.50 Each (lottery winners choice)

£2.50 each, don't be daft. They are £2.50 for a box. Now you may not get that many in a box but it's a damn site more than one!

Back