• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Gadgets, gizmo's, rods, reels and odds and ends

Andy Thatcher

Administrator
Staff member
So I haven't been in a UK tackle shop for 4 years now so was wondering what has cropped up that I have missed.

I know there have been a couple of generations of baitrunner released, Harrison have a new series of rods that have picked up some fans but is there anything else that has become a must have ?

Gardner ATTX bite alarms, very compact and silent alarms with a radio transmitter and the receiver can be set as audible or vibrate only, super product.............

Three things stand out to me, Owner C5X and Pallatrax hooks and Hydrolink hooklink (not necessarily for barbel) but its brilliant for making up combi/hinge/Stiff rigs very easily.

I've a little fox thingy. No idea what its called. Has a think and a thin metal bit poking out of a plastic handle. Incredibly useful for tying rigs and poking dried up paste out of my leads from the previous session... I like the pallatrax hooks as per his mis, but they are almost too sharp and as such dont last long!

Andy

I saw the Korda crusherwhatsit online somewhere and wondered if it would be worthwhile.

Depends on if you use pellets really.

Going to have to dig up info on the Fox gadget.

I am currently researching the best option for me as regards reels. Have brought it down to 3 choices. All Shimano, as usual, Baitrunner D 12000, Thunnus 12000F or 16000F. Going to be slapped on Ocean Master 12ft rods that are rated between 6 & 12oz rods with 50lb PowerPro.

Oh the subtlety of surf fishing lol

Andy, i bought some Technium XT 10,000s, brilliant reels, light, smooth as silk, big tourney type spools and lightening fast retreival rate, worth looking at mate:)
ps catch one o them big silver ones fer me, cant handle a long flight, wished i could....john

No good asking me, as you would expect Andy. The last thing I bouight from a tackle shop was a chair about 4 years ago and I never look when I pop in for some bait.

Oh, I bought some hooks and line once this year too.

No good asking me, as you would expect Andy. The last thing I bouight from a tackle shop was a chair about 4 years ago and I never look when I pop in for some bait.

Oh, I bought some hooks and line once this year too.

Apart from hooks and weights the last stuff I bought for fishing were 4 x 6ft lengths of pvc pipe, a portable drill and a garden auger :D

I chuck everything in my Krusha, it seems to be almost bullet proof apart from the fact that it doesnt float. :eek:

If you chop up sections of pepperami, the krusha chops it even further into lovely little bits for my groundbait that i struggle to eat, which makes my bait last longer. :D

Korda stripper is useful for coated braid.
Fox sliding ring and rig stops if you dont like using a knotless hair.

Cant think of anything else.

Paul

The Korda krusha was/is truely innovative, something refreshing, where as everything else that seems to end up in tackle shops is just some new range of something that's now dis-continued.

I picked up a nice weigh-sling from Cotswold Aquarious the other day - perfect for the barbel hunters out there, especially if you also fish for species of a similar or smaller size, ie not Carp, Pike, Cats etc. It's screws up in a tiny ball for transit, so it's perfect. Mrs E has got me a new 4000 Stradic for Chrimbo - quality tools.

Back