• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Freshwater mussels

Mark Thompson

Senior Member & Supporter
Thought I would slip this one in here.

Freshwater swan mussels...
Anyone got them in there garden pond,,do they make a difference to sludge ,sediment on the bottom ?

Its blanket weed time I see :(

Cheers

I've had them in the past, certainly improved water clarity but can't say that I noticed any other benefit. I've only had shallow ponds (three feet or less) so tended to lose the mussels over winter fairly regularly.

Hello Gavin
Clarity not a problem, but silt building up.
Pond is 18" to near 4ft at deeper end with roach ,rudd,two mirrors,two barbel,goldfish,a tench or two, couple of koi and a bream.
No harm in trying them I guess.
Thanks anyway.

Hi Mark
I've never tried swan mussels in a pond, but have read that they do not remove silt but filter and remove green suspended algae.
Have you considered a natural product such as cloverleaf sludgebuster which consists of freeze dried sludge eating bacteria?
Another option is a pond vac, which will de-silt a garden pond quickly.
They are a bit pricey but the oase models have two pump motors,... one to suck water and muck in, and the other to simultaneously pump out to allow continuous use.
You are quite welcome to borrow mine .
Dave T :)

Dave that is a really great offer !
I will be doing my "blanket weed answer" treatment soon and perhaps should try their sludgebuster after.
Guess a pond vacume should be done before both treatments ?

Tried "netting" sludge from bottom recently and amazingly accidently caught two fish !
Guess water still a bit cold and fish not particularly active.
Anyway ,much appreciated will be in touch soon I hope.

Ps A relation of mine whose father recently passed away has asked if I would take his Dads beloved koi carp.Some are quite big I am told.
I cannot do fish like this justice, he may be happy to just give them to another "enthusiast, good home" ,,,Of interest maybe ? Think they are in Ewell, Surrey.
Or maybe you could advise him as selling house and pond may need to go ,understandably he doesnt want to leave them to a novice or worse.
Cheers M

they make an excellent bait for both carp and barbel just as new zealand fresh frozen green lipped mussels do too;)

a lot of garden pond blanket weed is caused by some carp feed pellets which are vegetable based, only safe way is to pop into your local aquatic supplies and ask about getting disposalof tubs supplied by this service, you,ll need a largish close mesh net and long handle, scoop it up, le it drain for a bit andpop it in the 5 gallon tub and replace lid on it

also i use a good quality scoop net to clear the surface of excessive stuff , i use a large water filter that pumps filtered water down a slope and oxegenates the pool and also a good sized fountain too, my pool contains a ghostie of around 23ibs and a grass carp about 25-26 lb and a tiddler coy around 5-6lb they are in great shape and around the 30-40 year old mark according to previous owner also have good water plants growing in metal bakets hanging in edge of pool but i think the filter tanks essential:)

also i use a good quality scoop net to clear the surface of excessive stuff , i use a large water filter that pumps filtered water down a slope and oxegenates the pool and also a good sized fountain too, my pool contains a ghostie of around 23ibs and a grass carp about 25-26 lb and a tiddler coy around 5-6lb they are in great shape and around the 30-40 year old mark according to previous owner also have good water plants growing in metal bakets hanging in edge of pool but i think the filter tanks essential:)

Hi John, how much for a day ticket :D

derek, that pool was over half the reason i picked this house to buy mate, absolute bliss, cherry tree,plum tree, good apple trees and a glorious pear tree, that sweet cent of honeysuckle after i shower the plants and then the solar lights start twinkling all round the patio areas:)

Back