• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Freelining tips

Hi All,

I'm planning to have a few hours freelining/light ledgering with SSG shot for chub tomorrow. I've never done this style of fishing and looking for any tips.

I'm taking a 12ft avon rod with 6lb line. I have a small container with a couple packs of hooks, SSG shot, float stops and a 1/2 oz bomb.

Is there anything else that I'll need, other than a few worms and meat?

The river is small and varies in pace. It's 8ft wide in places up to 20ft, and has plenty of cover from overhanging tree's.

I'll take just my rod, net and mat and plan to move around, feeling for bites. Any advice much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240712_210217.jpg
    20240712_210217.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 42
If you can, use a shorter rod, easier to hold for a longer time.

Have your rod tip points to the bait, gives better bite detection on your fingers.

Bring some bread, free lining a floating bread in the summer is a deadly method for chub.

Hi All,

I'm planning to have a few hours freelining/light ledgering with SSG shot for chub tomorrow. I've never done this style of fishing and looking for any tips.

I'm taking a 12ft avon rod with 6lb line. I have a small container with a couple packs of hooks, SSG shot, float stops and a 1/2 oz bomb.

Is there anything else that I'll need, other than a few worms and meat?

The river is small and varies in pace. It's 8ft wide in places up to 20ft, and has plenty of cover from overhanging tree's.

I'll take just my rod, net and mat and plan to move around, feeling for bites. Any advice much appreciated.
If it's damp then when your on the bank look for 'BIG BLACK SLUGS' absolute cracking chub bait ... also get some Red Leicester cheese , the cheapest one you can so it's tough . That is a great bait to free line .., and my old man also caught hundreds of chub on freelined cherries !!! 😊🎣can't wait to hear how you get on mate .. tight lines 🎣🎣

If it's damp then when your on the bank look for 'BIG BLACK SLUGS' absolute cracking chub bait ... also get some Red Leicester cheese , the cheapest one you can so it's tough . That is a great bait to free line .., and my old man also caught hundreds of chub on freelined cherries !!! 😊🎣can't wait to hear how you get on mate .. tight lines 🎣🎣
Thanks Barry, do you put the cheese straight in the hook? I'm looking forward to it, a little different to the bait and wait that I'm used to.

When touch legering you want to get in a position that’s stable & comfortable so you can be as still as possible and concentrate all your senses on feeling the bites. No good if you’re moving about or there’s a bramble poking you in the back.

When holding the line, find the hand position that’s most sensitive for you. Some people hold the line between thumb & forefinger but for me, running the line over the tip of my little finger or ring finger is much more sensitive.

Watch the line where it enters the water for movement. If the river is clear polarising specs on and sight fish. If the water is deep or turbid you might not be able to see the fish but baits like bread or cheese may still be visible. Watch the bait and if it suddenly switches out like a light, strike.

Hi Wayne, there’s a good Drennan video with terry lampard on the stour with Martin bowler that’s worth watching, also get a copy of Tony Miles, tip tactics for big chub.
Agree with Jim above. Simple fishing at its finest with the late Terry Lampard.

My advice would be, to be prepared to get a bite almost immediately if a chub is in residence!

They spook very easily, so tread lightly and carefully around your swim especially upon arrival, as they spook very easily. Most fish are scared off before even a cast is made!

Big lumps of bread flake pinched on a hook is simple & devastating.... It's my favorite bait other than cheese paste!

Worm will guarantee you a few bites be it chub perch Dace Roach etc.
I have used a peice of rubber band after placing worms on the hook, to stop them from dropping off before now, making sure the hook point is exposed to a taking fish, or you could buy the fiddly enterprise worm stops that does the same job albeit more neatly...
Have fun!!

Thanks Barry, do you put the cheese straight in the hook? I'm looking forward to it, a little different to the bait and wait that I'm used to.
Yes just push the hook into to a lump of cheese as you would meat . It's a visual bait as well so the chub see it coming 😊😊... another trick I learned was to cast well up steam and bounce the bait back towards you . 👍🎣🎣

Back