• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Free spirit Heavy water 13’ 2.75lbs

Matthew Goulding

Does anybody have any experience of this rod? I’ve been offered a Mark Tunley built version but I can’t find much information on them. Has anybody owned one or used one? Are they any good.?

Free spirit...... mark tunley ..............neither make bad rods imo........I’ve had a cast of one but not played a fish on one so hard to comment I should imagine it would be a great rod for the tidal trent

That’s the Hi S heavy water
Never used that one personally but I’d say in the right fishing application it’s probably going to be brilliant.
At that length and TC there won’t be much it won’t throw into orbit.

I had a pair, and moved them on and went back to my Harrison 13s. I just found them not as forgiving as my Harrisons. The way I described them with a big Barbel on was, the harrison wanted to bend and cushion as the fish lunged, the Free spirit wanted to just be straight.

Had a play around , in the shop only with both the Hi's and the Torrix . Both rods did seem to live upto the advise given , meaning the Hi's being the better of the two for what i wanted . Did in the end decide to go with a set of 12ft Hi's custom builds and the heavy version at that . I no expert , and given my needs i think i made the right choice .

I had a pair, and moved them on and went back to my Harrison 13s. I just found them not as forgiving as my Harrisons. The way I described them with a big Barbel on was, the harrison wanted to bend and cushion as the fish lunged, the Free spirit wanted to just be straight.

Thanks Jon that’s useful feedback. What were the Harrison’s that you went back to? And what were the Free Spirits like to cast with, I wouldbe using them for heavy feeders a long way across a big river like the Wye or Severn

The ones I went back to was a harrison special I had made, 13ft ballista 2.75. Bruce ashby put me onto them. He said they are the only custom that can cast a 6 ounce feeder 60yds and still keep its playing action all the way from hooking to landing. It still does that job. Yes the free spirit will cast the same, it's ever so slightly stiffer in the butt too and quite slim. The Fs has a very thin tip too, apparently for bite indication etc. I did have to play fish off the wrist with the FS close in, whereas the Ballista, I could stick in my groin and let the rod do the work.
Cosmetically its a1 the FS, the ballista is an old blank, but does everything. It's what suits you, try before you buy. Another into the equation is Harrison will have a new 13ft 2.75 out soon. Now that may turn my head again.

Back