• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Free fishing, how to find it..

Don't think there is any restrictions, the house is by the gate that runs alongside the Severn Way, so pretty much public access without any limitations. The pegs when I was last there were sturdy and well made, not your usual BAA offerrings, you can stretch out with all your gear. A few years back there was a new lake created from the aggregates company that runs along this stretch, it seemed to have all the attributes in being something for the future, I would think by now there might be some natural recruitment of fish stocks.
Uckinghall BAA pond is a pleasant venue and although not much by way of Carp contained a variety of species.
The first time I fished there Anthony, my son, caught a double figure grass carp, that typically fought like Hell in the net.
Hi Neil - and info or you @Jon Young - At the gate to the field there is/was a EA sign saying no night fishing (I believe all EA free sections have this ruling) Some 20 years ago Ripple was very popular with Barbel anglers as it produced fish (probably still does) as the no NF rule wasn't really enforced. Things on the night fishing front then changed with the arrival of you know who. They came for the whole weekend Argos tents , WAGs and babies, tree felling and fires - it was used diper city for a while . Understandably the local residents complained to the EA who took the necessary steps to stop it happening . The EA couldn't be seen to have selective double standards so ALL anglers who broke the rule were to be prosecuted .

I honestly think fishing into dark here would be high risk

Last edited:
Hi Neil - and info or you @Jon Young - At the gate to the field there is/was a EA sign saying no night fishing (I believe all EA free sections have this ruling) Some 20 years ago Ripple was very popular with Barbel anglers as it produced fish (probably still does) as the no NF rule wasn't really enforced. Things on the night fishing front then changed with the arrival of you know who. They came for the whole weekend Argos tents , WAGs and babies, tree felling and fires - it was used diper city for a while . Understandably the local residents complained to the EA who took the necessary steps to stop it happening . The EA couldn't be seen to have selective double standards so ALL anglers who broke the rule were to be prosecuted .

I honestly think fishing into dark here would be high risk
Hi Steve, hope you are well...thanks for clearing that up. I know there was a problems with EE etc, never really inspired me to fish there, and certainly not nights.
Are you still Cheltmouth?;)

I'm good cheers Neil, hope you are too. I'm only really fishing for Zander these days and mainly on the rock hard cut. A glutton for punishment 🤣

Cheers for the info. Think I’ll give the place a miss
Give it a go John, it's not that bad honest, and if the river is carp you got the pond to fall back on.😊 If you go worth checking out the downstream pegs they tell me
Check out Tewkesbury Lower Lode, it is not exactly free on the Rowing Club lawn fiver a day if he comes around, but a good feeder venue, with the outside chance of a Barbel, Autumn and Winter black cap maggot feeder.Good level access and night fishing, park on the lawn.

level access

As a kid I fished a lot of free waters around the Bristol area, including Bath, I guess the best had to be downstream of Poultney Weir where the Roach grew big. Keynsham weirpool for Chub, the Chew for Trout and Grayling, Frome in Bristol is a brilliant fishery too. I love the possibilities that free Urban fishing offer, and very often are better than expensive club waters.
No Night Fishing allowed on the EA Lower Severn stretch at Uckinghall
Big notice to confirm.

There's a reason why most of the Trent around Nottingham is free 😁
Why is this Stephen? I still fish it on occasion and catch plenty of fish. There are better areas but the main reason I don't fish some stretches is the car crime issue. I have tickets for some of the better areas now but I grew up in Nottingham so I sometimes go back to my old haunts and have caught some magnificent fish. My first double figure barbel was from a free Nottingham venue. Most of the river in this area is vastly under fished and the potential is, in my opinion, vast.

Why is this Stephen? I still fish it on occasion and catch plenty of fish. There are better areas but the main reason I don't fish some stretches is the car crime issue. I have tickets for some of the better areas now but I grew up in Nottingham so I sometimes go back to my old haunts and have caught some magnificent fish. My first double figure barbel was from a free Nottingham venue. Most of the river in this area is vastly under fished and the potential is, in my opinion, vast.
I agree the fishing can be good I used to fish at the back of the university at Clifton & other areas when I worked down there. But you have to know where to park. Other areas can also be plagued by feral kids. Also other areas downstream are better in terms of numbers and sizes IMO, the drawback being numbers of anglers.

Back