• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

France Ardeche / Allier / Tarn

Ian Murfin

I'm heading to the south of France next week and will be in the vicinity of the Ardeche, Allier and the Tarn rivers, It's not really a fishing trip but I'm hoping to sneak a few hours here and there. Anyone have any ideas of the fish i might find? I'm thinking of taking light/med float gear with corn & meat and perhaps a few spinners, am i on the right lines?

Smurf

Don't pin too much hope on the rivers. They are very clear, low and hard going especially in daytime, and of course, you have to pack up an hour after sunset when fishing rivers in France except for a few designated places. If you only have rivers to fish I'd pack a few small Ondex spoons and a short spinning rod. Chuck the spinner under trees for chub and maybe a bonus catfish.

Have a scan of Google Earth and try and find some communal lakes near to where you are staying. You'll need a Carte de Peche, but otherwise they are free fishing. Check the Plan d'Eau at each lake. They are usually near to the car parks and show the areas where fishing is allowed. Most of them have Carpe de Nuit places, i.e. you can fish at night as long as you follow the rules.

At the moment, the big fish are still in the shallow end of the lakes. If you can find a spot where the river runs in all the better. If it is more than fifty metres from where they can get their Pierremobiles (little white vans :) ) you'll not see another angler. Sweetcorn is probably your best bet.

Top tip number 1.
When shopping in the supermarket have a look in the pet food section for Basse Cour chicken pellets. They are in a yellow bag and you need the Poules version, not the Poulettes. At just over six Euro for ten kilo you won't find better groundbait anywhere. Catapult it, method mix it or soak it for a few hours and hand ball it in.

Top tip number 2.
Take some small hooks and tiny bait bands for the pellets. A five metre whip will also come in handy. Then save the small roach for a bit of evening zandering.

A week's Carte de Peche is around 30 to 40 euros and available at large supermarkets and most Tabacs.

There's loads of smaller barbel in the Ardeche, in the faster sections & some big carp in the barraged sections (these are quite short). Also roach chub dace etc.

Meat worked for me & also bought a few expensive maggots for the float. Have heard corn is good too.

Sorry to take this slightly off topic but how big do the chub go in France? I'm currently on holiday in the Limousin region and was watching some truly monstrous chub swim in the shallows under a bridge over the river in Limoges.

I'd have thought they were grass carp if they hadn't been swimming with some more normal sized chub! Must have been 8s :)

Sorry to take this slightly off topic but how big do the chub go in France? I'm currently on holiday in the Limousin region and was watching some truly monstrous chub swim in the shallows under a bridge over the river in Limoges.

I'd have thought they were grass carp if they hadn't been swimming with some more normal sized chub! Must have been 8s :)

Ounces, inches, kilos or centimetres? :D

D'accord. Le record chevesne de France est 3.6Kg. Vous l'avait mieux aller Specsavers. :D

:D:D:D

Apologies for digressing from the original post but Clive, what do you know about the Loire and its tributaries ? i have spent a fair amount of time in that area over the years on family holidays and its a fabulous looking river, big Carp i think and possibly Cats ?? Some of it looks very Barbelly as well.

Last edited:
I live close to the Vienne, which is on the Loire system. I think that you will find barbel almost everywhere on the Loire and its tributaries. The French record is considerably less than the UK but that may be down to French anglers traditionally preferring to haul out gardons on the pole and have only just discovered les carpes! You just don't see anyone fishing for barbel.

If you can find smooth glides between fast shallow water you will be in with a shout trotting or ledgering. For bait, you don't have to bother with anything except maize / sweetcorn and the chicken pellets I mentioned as groundbait. Incidentally, when I first got here and went into the local tackle shop to buy some boilies for les barbeaux, he wouldn't sell me any, insisiting that smelly blue cheese was as good as anything. I must admit that I haven't tried it yet, but the bigger river pigs do have a taste for maize. Those and the chub tend to outumber the barbel where I live although to be fair I haven't given the rivers as much attention as I intended.

A Siberian angler who lives locally fishes it most evenings and extracts quite a few cats up to a metre long, 13lbs, using an Ondex type spinner. The biggest one resulted in him breaking his telescopic spinning rod while trying to land it by hand on his own. I've given him a replacement that I couldn't get on with. There was a 2 day catfish match on the Vienne and I popped over to see what they were up to. All 36 or so anglers were apparently fishing the cat o copter rig using tench livebaits, liver or large pellets. Next morning they had managed three smallish catfish and a 6lb barbel between them. :eek:

The rivers are quite low at the moment although not as bad as the past few years when it didn't rain at all from March to December. I'm leaving the rivers to one side until we get some rain in autumn and concentrating on the large communal lakes at the moment. Imagine a lake over four miles long with several shallow, weedy bays and deep channels that never really get fished except maybe for Pierre and his six metre pole. There are zander & carp that have never seen a bait, and I've asked the wife to get me a keepnet for my birthday as I can't work out whether I'm catching the same bream a hundred times or all of its mates. :D

A couple of River Vienne carp(e)s

12lb 12oz caught yesterday just upstream of a weir, and a 10lb 7oz from a small backwater where a mill race used to re-enter the river.

Carp12-12_zpsf8af3fbf.jpg

RiverIslandCarp10lb07oz.jpg

You can see from their shape that they work out a bit. Probably why the get mistaken for monster chub :D

While I was playing the fish yesterday, in a very remote spot near a derelict mill, I heard voices and was presently joined by a guy who was as insistent on netting the fish as I was on not letting him. There was a patch of lilies immediately in front of me and I was concerned about getting the fish through them without the help of someone who's competence was an unknown quantity. Eventually I netted the fish and brought it back up the banking while my new friend tidied up the rig after unhooking had been completed. He was obviously a pecheur de carpe and then spent a few minutes looking through my terminal rigs and odds & ends box, and we chatted about the things we cannot not get over here. He was most impressed with my spring loaded pellet drill. It was only then I noticed that his wife and two friends were waiting nearby. They were all out on a promenade and the old mill is a local beauty spot. Other than them I never saw a soul in over six hours.

Back