• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fox Stratos FS4000E

Stuart Brookes

Just bought myself one of these reels for the new season. I was looking at the Shimano DL 4000 FA but decided on the Fox instead. Comes with two spare spools and a double handle. Also got a cracking deal from my local tackle shop and got it for less than the Shimano. I've spooled one spool with Berkley Big Game 10lb fitted to my new Bob Church rod and I'm impatiently counting the days down to the glorious 16th. BRING IT ON!

Enjoy Stuart, a mate has a pair of 7000E's and rates them very highly and i've seen the 4000's in the press BUT as I've invested in 2 of the Shimano's this close season I think I had better placate the missus and give the Fox's a miss !!....shame they would have gone nice on my Fox Barbel Plus.....I look forward to a review when you have used them a while.

I bought a pair of the 10000E's for carping and not been too impressed with them over the last 2 seasons. They are very stiff, thought they would have eased off by now but they make playing fish hard work!

Hope your 4000's behave better for you.

Got a pair of the 7000,s, like the line lay, casting is spot on, don,t like the heavy feel to winding in, also the drag settings seem a bit limited by the heavy spool at the lower end on the metal spool version. I,d go for the shimano!
peter

Crickey Stuart...I bet you are feeling down now.
I'm sure your'll enjoy using them....not long now.

Hope all goes well at Topcliffe.
Rich.

Yep,you should have got the shimano's.......

If you're feeling down,this should cheer you up.

<paul4 edit - I broke bread with Monty himself earlier, as I do daily, and he remarked that he didn't need his blog advertised on here .................. if there's any mickey-taking/wind-ups to be done he is more than happy to action his own>

Oh,to have friends in high places.....

Last edited:
Very clever...:rolleyes:

<paul4 edit - errrrrrr, just edited>

Last edited by a moderator:
On a more positive note Stuart, your new reels will no doubt look and feel great for you. When you're hauling in a double on the opening day the sun will be shining, the birds singing, even the otters will stop to listen to the smooth gears and effortless winding-in..... you will be at one with nature and this thread will be a distant memory.

Enjoy.

I've used and abused a pair of 7000's for two seasons and they are still going strong.

The only problem with them was that the double handles were too short to give any leverage but the single handle is just about okay.

Don't listen to the Shimanoites Stuart, your reels will be just fine.

I looked at the 7000 Dave and in fact bought one then decided the 4000 suited my requirements more. Looks a cracking reel and chatted about it with the lad in the local shop who is a serious carper and he raved about them even though he uses shimano's.
I'll find out in a couple of weeks and they are under guarantee anyway. Just liked the push button release on the spools and the overall look of the design.

I used a FS7000E for well under two seasons. The gears went on it whilst I was playing a rather nice fish. I didn't investigate (before throwing it in the bin) but it felt like the gears had completely worn. I now use a pair of Okuma IPB340s - cheaper than either Fox or a comparable Shimano...and currently going strong.

I really hope your experience is a positive one. However, the overriding impression is that they look better than they perform. Form over function...

Back