• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fox Kevlar

Howard Cooke

About a week before the end of last season someone decided to liberate the vast majority of my fishing tackle from the back of my car as it was parked outside my house (in the spirit of efficiency I had loaded the car so I could just hop in after getting home from work). Included was my trusty Fox Kevlar, all made up and ready to go. Anyway, I am now left with the 1.5lb and 1.25lb sections in pretty much perfect nick. The 1.5lb section even has a quiver tip attached. Anyway, I have grieved enough and I need to move on with my life and to do so I need to pass these top sections to a new owner. So I am giving these away for free to anyone that can make use of them. I live in Newbury if that helps. Cheers.

About a week before the end of last season someone decided to liberate the vast majority of my fishing tackle from the back of my car as it was parked outside my house (in the spirit of efficiency I had loaded the car so I could just hop in after getting home from work). Included was my trusty Fox Kevlar, all made up and ready to go. Anyway, I am now left with the 1.5lb and 1.25lb sections in pretty much perfect nick. The 1.5lb section even has a quiver tip attached. Anyway, I have grieved enough and I need to move on with my life and to do so I need to pass these top sections to a new owner. So I am giving these away for free to anyone that can make use of them. I live in Newbury if that helps. Cheers.

I've been looking for a 3oz carbon quiver tip for sometime and would be delighted to purchase that or all of the quiver tips. I'm so sorry to hear of the theft. Might be worth keeping an eye on ebay. We are all guilty of loading up the car the night before and I suppose it's a risk that we take. I'm very sorry.

Thanks Jim- have sent you a pm. I have all the tips which I am happy to give away with the two rod top sections. Not looking for any cash, just want to see them put to better use than sat in my shed. My loss has been mitigated somewhat by the arrival of a Daiwa Infinity!

Thanks Jim- have sent you a pm. I have all the tips which I am happy to give away with the two rod top sections. Not looking for any cash, just want to see them put to better use than sat in my shed. My loss has been mitigated somewhat by the arrival of a Daiwa Infinity!

Nice gesture Howard ;)

Howard, your fine gesture illustrates perfectly the difference between the givers and the takers of this world. Hoping for some sort of miracle, whereby the scum finally get their just deserts and justice is done, is but a forlorn dream no doubt....but by heck, even just once would be damned nice, wouldn't it?

Cheers, Dave.

Howard, your fine gesture illustrates perfectly the difference between the givers and the takers of this world. Hoping for some sort of miracle, whereby the scum finally get their just deserts and justice is done, is but a forlorn dream no doubt....but by heck, even just once would be damned nice, wouldn't it?

Cheers, Dave.

Now that is the best statement I've read for a long while.

Howard, you can gain comfort from knowing that you are a decent fellow and hopefully 'what goes around, comes around' for these scumbags.

I must say this though,and perhaps this is a salutary lesson. I am reluctant to leave my gear even for a few minutes unattended, let alone all day or all night. Too many thieving scumbags about. Sad state of our society nowadays. :mad:

Kevlar

I have been in contact with Howard and I think it would be difficult to find a nicer chap. It is ironic that the decent trusting people of this World often suffer the most. A possible solution is to reciprocate decency and just maybe, restore some faith in mankind. I'm not recommending it, but theft from large organisations is understandable and causes no upset to individuals, shareholders excepted. Theft from individuals is disgusting whether it is credit cards or burglary, the problem is a lot of this crime is carried out by drug users. Take away the reason for their desperation, legalise and control, and a lot of crime would fall. Back this up with a realistic deterrent and we might have a less crime ridden society.

I do feel slightly culpable for leaving my stuff in the back of the car and had got rather lazy and a little too trusting. As I imagine with many thefts, its not so much the financial loss its the sense of invasion plus the loss of items with little value other than their connection to some great fishing experiences. Interestingly, 2 days after the theft I noticed something hanging from the branch of a tree on a lane to the side of my house (for a moment I thought it was the limp body of a guilt ridden drug user). It turned out to be my trusty winter fishing coat which the thief had kindly returned. That sort of lifted my spirits. The pockets even contained the leads I had left there plus a hooklength and hook. I do hope the poor chap didn't stab himself when searching for gold coins. Ho hum.

Howard Cooke

I've been trying to contact Howard for a week or so and he seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth, at least as far as BFW goes. Does anyone on BFW know Howard? I seem to be jinxed with these Kevlars!

Still here Jim and sent you a pm earlier. Have had hideously busy couple of weeks but have now packaged up all the bits and will aim to get to the courier this week. It will be the two top sections plus a separate tube with the various quiver tips. I will let you know once I have sent them. Cheers.

Still here Jim and sent you a pm earlier. Have had hideously busy couple of weeks but have now packaged up all the bits and will aim to get to the courier this week. It will be the two top sections plus a separate tube with the various quiver tips. I will let you know once I have sent them. Cheers.

Good to hear that you are back, alive and kicking we need decent people on this site and not some of the bad people who seem to deliberately give bad advice and lead people up the "garden path". Let's hope that you make a bit of free time to get on the bankside, fishing should take priority over just about everything.
I can recall last year when my dad was lieing on his death bed in hospital, that during my visits (I managed to see him every couple of weeks or so), he would say, son get out there and get onto those barbel, don't waste time here with me. I heeded his wise advice. Even in his nineties he loved the river and the barbel.

I have just bought a kevlar ARD001 rod and you must be devistated Howard. The one i bought only has 1 q/tip and if there are any parts available i will certainly put them to good use. Feel like a bl@@dy mercenary and this is, by far, the most difficult post i have ever made. Really sorry for your loss.

Stephen

Many thanks Stephen and yes, a painful and expensive loss/lesson. The spare bits I had have however been packaged and sent off to Jim Foxall now so all gone. Hope you enjoy your new rod and best of luck for the coming season. Howard.

Back