• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fox Horizon Pod and Modifications by Matt Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Williams

Fox Horizon Pod and Modifications by Matt Brown

Introduction

thepod.jpg

The Modified Fox Horizon Pod In Use - 1

I often fish on rocky or gravel banks where getting a bankstick into a stable position can cause a few problems. Occasionally I feel the need to get the rod tips high to allow me to hold bottom in strong flows. So last year I bought the PM Tripod from Leslies Of Luton on recommendation from other anglers on BFW.

I was more than disappointed with that for a few reasons; It was flimsy causing instability in the wind and consequently when using alarms it would set them off bleeping, annoying everyone on the bank. Mike Berridge showed me how to attach a bag of leads to the centre of the tripod to reduce this problem.

It wasn�t very adjustable and sometimes I really need to get the rods higher, just to hold bottom. Often, when a violent take occurred on the downstream rod the buzzer bar would unscrew. This would throw the upstream rod on the floor, often while a Barbel was trying to make its� escape on the other rod. I cleverly managed to get my rod rest heads stuck in buzzer bar. So I tried to source another buzzer bar for the occasions when I wanted to use my alarms - but because the design relies on the male thread of the buzzer bar being at 90 degrees to the female inserts they are different to all other buzzer bars on the market. I tried Leslies but even they couldn�t get me a replacement. I tried using keepnet angle locks with a normal buzzer bar but that created more leverage and the buzzer bar would unscrew when only the slightest amount of force was put on the downstream rod. After resorting to, and struggling with, single banksticks for the rest of the season it was time for something better.

Enter The Fox Horizon Pod

I�d liked the look of the Fox Horizon Pod as soon as I saw it but it was a while before my local shop had them in stock. I wanted to have a proper look before parting with my cash. In the shop I was disappointed to find that the adjustment that controls the splay and angle of the rear legs would only allow for the pod to be angled at a maximum of less than 45 degrees. Fine if you�re Carping but not so good if you�re struggling to hold bottom on a raging river. I put my thinking cap on and I planned to have an adaptor that would allow me to remove the rear legs assembly and replace the lot with a spike. My mate Adam Roberts, kindly made an adaptor from brass.

adapt2.jpg
adapt1.jpg

The Adaptor and Pod, Adaptor and Mini Bank Stick in Place

The female thread is M8 and the male is 3/8� BS (ie. the standard bankstick fitting.) The M8 male thread on the pod is very long so I used a cone nut from a bicycle wheel as a spacer. Onto this I screwed on of the miniature banksticks that are supplied with the pod.

I also cut down the front male bankstick mounts as these are very long (about 35mm) and would not take the majority of banksticks, especially those with a built in t-bar. I added a couple of 36� Fox Euro banks sticks and voila! 48� ones would allow even more height if that's what you wanted.

legmounts.jpg

Before and After - Cut Down Bankstick Mounts

foxhpod.jpg

With Euro Banksticks Attached

Because of the design of the buzzer bars, their mounts and the stiffness of the main body of the pod, I am now the proud owner of a very sturdy Barbel Rod holding machine. I love it. It's stable in winds, it's nice to be able to set the rods so they can be set however I like, it folds up quickly and fits into my Nash quiver pocket and is pretty light too.

waiting.jpg

The Modified Fox Horizon Pod In Use - 2

I can't recommend this pod enough - just make sure you can get an adaptor made up.

RRP for the 3 rod version is £84.99 but I managed to pick up a second hand one for £50!

Matt Brown

June 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back