• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fox BJ5 pin review

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter
I’ve only just bought this reel and took it out on the river today caught loads of fish mostly under a pound and I have enough insight now to give an honest opinion on it.

It doesn’t have much said about it online and a good 50% of what is said certainly isn’t that positive.

It’s a fox bob James 5 inch pin.
IMG_2028.jpeg

I’ve wanted one for a while but have held off really because I was waiting for a new unused one which is what I have now bought.
paid probably too much for it but to be fair I was happy to pay extra to get new/mint/unused.

So out of the box it was almost there. A little less free running than I wanted but a two second tweak on the end float and it was 100% there.

It’s a bearing pin and there are two sealed bearings that operate very smoothly and quietly. (I’ve read them to behave like coffee grinders in other threads but this particular one is far from that case)

If you grip the back plate tight with the palm of your hand while flinging it at a million miles an hour you can feel the bearings ever so slightly through the plate but you can’t feel or hear anything on the rod.

Why did i want this one?
Firstly I love the bob James young pin. It is exactly how I want a pin with the check lever on the rim, vented construction and really just a great pin for trotting. I use my youngs bj for barbel float work and it’s brilliant.

I wanted something near on identical but bigger for general trotting to return more line on the bat. I wanted something light to be used on 13-15ft well balanced light rods like normarks and acolytes

This is essentially a bigger, slightly lighter, bj youngs pin so it is ideal and it’s put my old leeds into retirement now.

Where are they made? No idea…… I have read comments from people suggesting youngs built them but I’m 100% sure that’s not the case.
Yes it’s design is exactly the same as bj young super lightweight but there are manufacturing differences between this and a youngs and there wouldn’t be if they were built in the same factory.

This has a thicker check spring, the pins holding the ratchet mechanism are a lot tighter and don’t move as freely as the youngs, the handles are not as nicely turned and don’t feel as well fitted as the youngs and the edges on every slot and surface on this are a little sharper than the youngs. Not sharp as in cut yourself but sharp as in not rounded off like the youngs edges.

We are talking the very finest of details but the youngs is fractionally better quality. ….
On the reverse side of that however the fox is actually machined to tighter tolerances than the youngs especially where the bearings fit over the pin. The fox is a better snugger fit and there is significantly less rock or side play in the fox because of that so there really isn’t much in it at all
IMG_2030.jpeg

So I took it out today to a small local river for a bit of bit bashing and the chance of a chub or 2.
Armed it up to a 13ft Titan 2000 and it felt a pretty good combo.
IMG_2061.jpeg

2 hours I sat here on the outside of this bend just feeding maggots every put through and getting bites every put through too.
IMG_2060.jpeg

I probably caught 100 fish from 2-12 inches long and the pin was just fantastic in every way. One thing I did notice that my other pins have never done and that is the line when batting for a return stays very centered and doesn’t stack in the inside corner.
The extra half inch on the diameter equates to 1.6 inch of extra line going on the spool per rotation. Doesn’t sound a lot but my god it is when batting that spool you return your tackle much quicker. I don’t think I’d ever want to trott with less than 4.5 inch tbh.
Great afternoon bit bashing made much more enjoyable with this great little reel
IMG_2062.jpeg

So inclusion my review is very different to some of the things I’ve read about them.….. did I get a good one? Did some people get bad ones?

If youngs did a 5 inch bj super lightweight I wouldn’t of even considered getting this however they don’t and 5 inch pins aren’t particularly common anyway for some bizarre reason. If I have just one criticism it would be the handles. They feel loose and plasticy and they’ll be replaced with something nicer very shortly

If like me you really want a bigger lightweight pin, I highly recommend trying to find a fox bj5 and yes they are worth throwing good money at a mint one.

Last edited:
I thought the fox Bob james pin was made by young for a long time, since it is almost identical to the youngs super light pin. Until recently I’ve been told it is not, still very useable and good quality pin.

I thought the fox Bob james pin was made by young for a long time, since it is almost identical to the youngs super light pin. Until recently I’ve been told it is not, still very useable and good quality pin.
Yeah it’s definitely not a young pin. No question about that.
It’s a very good copy of the youngs BJ Super light pin but there are noticeable manufacturing differences.

The biggest give away is the whole ratchet mechanism. Looks the same but all the parts have subtle differences and variations.
If that was a youngs pin they would use exactly the same parts for both.

Same with the handles. A youngs pin had much nicer feeling and fitting handles. I’m going to change these for youngs ones. I’m going to upgrade the bearings too.

Are bearings not good on fox pin? I’ve seen some instructions about how to change them, and was wondering why would people want to do that.

Thanks for the detailed write up Richard, very interesting and definitely food for thought. I’ve often wondered about these as have a Super Lightweight myself (my go to for silvers). Looks like you got a minter.

Are bearings not good on fox pin? I’ve seen some instructions about how to change them, and was wondering why would people want to do that.
They are perfectly fine
A little normal rumble through the back plate but nothing drastic.
However the only 2 parts of that pin that are not super high quality are the bearings and the handles so why not upgrade both.

Bearings are literally a 2 minute job on them and a very common size.
You can make that pin even nicer still with a very high quality set of bearings in there.

I’ve seen some instructions about how to change them,
I would also be careful about reading instructions online as I’ve also read some stuff and quite frankly a lot of it is both unnecessary and potentially damaging.

I can’t account for them all but the ones I’ve pulled apart you certainly don’t need to be removing circlips and check gears.
Never use a screwdriver to remove or undo the screw in brass seat either.
I’ll put some proper instructions up how to do this when I change mine out, that will be perfectly safe to carry out.
and I believe this will be related to a lot the youngs models too

Back