• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

fox bait droppers

Stephen Pritchard

Why the hell do Fox still churn out these useless bait droppers?I know the obvious answer is "because mugs like you buy them" but its just getting silly now.
The first one i bought the door dropped off on the second cast so that was it for a few years then just recently i bought another one, forgetting about the door issue until i got it home and noticed my old one minus the door.This time i decided to tie some braid between the bait dropper and the door,all was well until I reeled in this evening and the door was yet again gone after dropping off and snagging up.
Why don't they change this common fault or at least supply the bait dropper with 100 spare doors?:mad:
ps. Would I be entitled to a refund because surely its 'not fit for purpose'

Are they the plastic Fox ones? I had one and liked the fact they didn't make an almighty crash whilst droppering a little further out, but unfortunately it didn't survive 2 Pike attacks!

Stephen,I took mine back to Total Angling and the local Fox rep got it replaced.Now all of mine have a safety braid to make sure the doors don't fly off!!!! Just in case but they haven't learnt that the design is pants!!

fox baitdroppers are the best droppers you can get in my opinion because being plastic they don't hardly make any impact compared to other droppers. the only flaw to it is the door,but you can cancel this out by just tying abit of your line to the door to the dropper, so if the door does come off, it'll come off still intact with the dropper, and then just put the door back on again.

Last edited:
When I raised it with Fox they denied there was a design fault despite me having a pile of doorless bait droppers returned by disgruntled customers.
:mad:

i had one and the door dropped off and the plastic braces across the back fell off too. not good stock!!!!
so i got some fencing wire and pliers and went to work on it. i threw the arm away where you tie the main line. and put a wire loop in. oh and tied a bit of mono to hold the door on place.
now it is mint and i love it.

I think they spent too much time and effort on the design of adjustable weight and adjustable release arm than on the fundamentals like a lid that remains fixed :rolleyes:, which is a pity because I really like them for getting a big bed of bait out quick. I've lashed mine on with braid and it's been fine. If I lose this one I'm not sure whether I'll replace it or try the large seymo tear drops?

Cheers
Mark

fox baitdroppers are the best droppers you can get in my opinion because being plastic they don't hardly make any impact compared to other droppers. the only flaw to it is the door,but you can cancel this out by just tying abit of your line to the door to the dropper, so if the door does come off, it'll come off still intact with the dropper, and then just put the door back on again.

But do you really think you should have to tie the door on a piece of equipment you've spent eight quid on because Fox can't be arsed to change their terrible design?

Nothing wrong with the ones from your local tackle shop or Dragon Carp, costs something like £1 and I haven't had one break on me yet. After all, it's just something you chuck in the river!

i only use a 1.75tc rod for droppering and try to always swing the dropper out. i have found the plastic fox to be perfect with this rod because its light,
i brought a seymo dropper which was solid and good quality but is way too heavy for a 1.75. so i gues it all depends on what rods you drop with. but fox have definatley got a poor designed dropper and if you buy one be prepared to have to do some DIY on it.
then you will probably love it like i do!

But do you really think you should have to tie the door on a piece of equipment you've spent eight quid on because Fox can't be arsed to change their terrible design?

no we shouldn't have to do anything to the dropper, but in this case we really have no choice as eventually you know that door is going to come off, and that's eight quid down the drain. i was asked by a fox consultant of what i thought about the bait dropper, and i told him that the only flaw with the dropper is the door, but it's a huge flaw. fox definitely know about this problem, and it seems such an easy fault to correct aswell.

in the end i feel tackle shops will just stop selling them because of the hassle that must come with selling it.

Back