• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Forum software upgrade

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

We've just upgraded the forum software on BFW to the latest version of Xenforo, which is 2.1. This is good for security and it also brings some new features. The new features can be seen here:

The most useful looks to be the push notifications, which I've just turned on. Unfortunately I don't think these work on Apple devices or browsers (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Let me know if you spot any problems.

Regards,

Andy

1. No idea what "push notifications" are, so remains to be seen. In fact on my mobile it is asking for me to allow push notifications, but until I know what they are I shan't do so.

2. Last poster column makes it a bit messy IMO, but this is on desktop. In fact none of this stuff (threads, messages and last poster) shows on a mobile so makes me wonder if it's necessary at all.

bfw_screenshot01.jpg

So in light of the "avatar" showing as an avatar or a letter in cases where the user doesn't have an avatar, I'd turn this off (if there is an option to)

I'm with Paul on the 'push' issue. I really don't need the immediacy of knowing who's posted on social media, bid on Ebay, etc, etc. It's an extension of the need to reply to text messages as they're received as if it's a conversation, and I think young people actually think they need to buy into this concept. So many website ask for access to 'push' notifications at me - whilst some feel the need, it's 'No' every time from me.

Sorry if this makes me sound like a grumpy old man. I'd like to think I'm neither. :)

Back