• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

For the introduction of non lethal of controlling Otters

Joe Fletcher

No Longer a Member
Simple question ? Can some one explain how you control Otters with out using lethal means ?
No one has explained what the plan is and where will the money come from to pay for it if it gets the go ahead

Captured via trapping, then on there holidays to somewhere like the North West of Scotland. They would love it....

Good question Joe, unless I've missed something, there seems to some sort omerta (Jon's tongue-in-cheek post aside) about explaining what the non-lethal methods are.

I hadn't previously realised that the Barbel Society were behind the petition, so I'm surprised they haven't produced a rationale / briefing of how they see non-lethal otter control taking shape.

Some people have suggested a form of birth control - but surely that's not a serious suggestion?... is it? Even if it was viable and that's a massive 'if', the costs of such of a project would huge. It would be a lot more complex then say, the current badger cull which has cost the taxpayer well over £20 million so far.

Yes it was the Barbel Society that are behind the petition Joe and as far as I am aware they have given no explanation how if the petition is successful they would implement the idea of controlling Otters by a non lethal means and as I stated earlier who will pay for it .....

Good question Joe, unless I've missed something, there seems to some sort omerta (Jon's tongue-in-cheek post aside) about explaining what the non-lethal methods are.

I hadn't previously realised that the Barbel Society were behind the petition, so I'm surprised they haven't produced a rationale / briefing of how they see non-lethal otter control taking shape.

Some people have suggested a form of birth control - but surely that's not a serious suggestion?... is it? Even if it was viable and that's a massive 'if', the costs of such of a project would huge. It would be a lot more complex then say, the current badger cull which has cost the taxpayer well over £20 million so far.

I can just see Mr Otter, queing up in the chemist for a pack of 3 :D:eek::)

Though seriously....
Tagging,
monitoring of movement,
restrictions of release,
database of info regarding where injured or orphaned are being kept,
Stop building holts,
stop feeding them by stockings for a while 3-5 yrs perhaps,
These are all forms of control.

Back