• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fluorocarbon mainline

Chris Fogg

Time to respool my reels, anybody use fluorocarbon on a centrepin reel and how was it? I'm a massive fan of Gardner mainlines so was looking at mirage but is there better out there? Thanks.

I’d be careful with anything pre-stretched (can’t remember if they do that with fluoro or not). I only really float fish with centrepins, but I wouldn’t spool up with fluorocarbon.

I’d be careful with anything pre-stretched (can’t remember if they do that with fluoro or not). I only really float fish with centrepins, but I wouldn’t spool up with fluorocarbon.
Yes, wouldn't entertain fluorocarbon for float fishing.

Time to respool my reels, anybody use fluorocarbon on a centrepin reel and how was it? I'm a massive fan of Gardner mainlines so was looking at mirage but is there better out there? Thanks.
I have been a long time (12YEARS) user of Fluorocarbon as a mainline for barbel legering with a centre pin. I have found no trouble in use. My favourite is x-Line a great line; abrassive resistance is better than any other line I have tested, and that is a lot. The only problem i have with it's use, is now that the rivers I fish have lost most of the weed growth due to sewage discharge creating a discoloured permanent algae bloom, the line I feel has become more visible and on many occasions become a deterrent to the fish taking the bait. I still do use fluoro hooklengths though. Laying on the bottom, I believe it is still nearly invisible. Would be interested in others views on this

I have been a long time (12YEARS) user of Fluorocarbon as a mainline for barbel legering with a centre pin. I have found no trouble in use. My favourite is x-Line a great line; abrassive resistance is better than any other line I have tested, and that is a lot. The only problem i have with it's use, is now that the rivers I fish have lost most of the weed growth due to sewage discharge creating a discoloured permanent algae bloom, the line I feel has become more visible and on many occasions become a deterrent to the fish taking the bait. I still do use fluoro hooklengths though. Laying on the bottom, I believe it is still nearly invisible. Would be interested in others views on this
Thanks Paul, I'm Targeting the Wey through Surrey this year, it's generally clear and weedy hence my thought on using fluorocarbon. I'll look into x line, what breaking strain do you use?

Thanks Paul, I'm Targeting the Wey through Surrey this year, it's generally clear and weedy hence my thought on using fluorocarbon. I'll look into x line, what breaking strain do you use?
Chris, I use the 10lb most of the time, and I am aware that it is an over stated line. my own tests on it (rather Heith Robertson), show an average breakage of 8lb 14oz. However even in bad snag pits, I lose very few fish to the line going. As said the abrassion resistance is amazing (3X better than many mono lines). It isn't the strength we need to go by. I have used the 12lb in the past, and never felt it gave a negative to my results

Chris, I use the 10lb most of the time, and I am aware that it is an over stated line. my own tests on it (rather Heith Robertson), show an average breakage of 8lb 14oz. However even in bad snag pits, I lose very few fish to the line going. As said the abrassion resistance is amazing (3X better than many mono lines). It isn't the strength we need to go by. I have used the 12lb in the past, and never felt it gave a negative to my results
The x line does look low in diameter compared to the breaking strain so might up it to 12 or even the 15lb. It's a small snaggy river so can be very hit and hold in some swims.

I tried using fluorocarbon as a main line and as reported in the Barbel Ways and Days video it spooked the fish. I had three screaming runs which turned out to be line bites. I was fishing the Wye. As a result of my experience I only use it for combi hook lengths.

I tried using fluorocarbon as a main line and as reported in the Barbel Ways and Days video it spooked the fish. I had three screaming runs which turned out to be line bites. I was fishing the Wye. As a result of my experience I only use it for combi hook lengths.
I'll be back leading so the first 6ft will be pinned down, with a fairly uniform bottom compared to the Wye so they shouldn't come into contact with it.

Don't fall for the "fluro is invisible in water" spiel. It's far from it once it's been submerged a while, it picks up suspended particles in the water (dependant on local conditions) and looks like a washing line adorned with your undies, just like any other line.

[/QUOTE
Heith Robertson?? 😄

Back