• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fluoro & Mono breaking strains

Alan Manger

Are the breaking strains comparable? Usually I use mono with a 12lb mainline with a 10lb hooklength, is that still the same if the hooklength is fluoro?

I've ordered some Korda IQ and instinctively bought the 10lb breaking strain.

I also have a ton of questions regarding different knots but I'll come to that later. :eek:

ta
Al

All line b.s should be directly comparable besause they are a simple test of linear strength, for any other strength test i.e durability or knot strength is a very subjective test both in terms of the product and the tester plus testing methods.
This link may explain a little on how subjective it all is; http://www.ultimauk.com/diameter_issue.htm

All i do know is that a good fluoro has limited stretch compared to mono, knots wise i wouldnt use a grinner, if i was you...

Thanks, more of question of if the balance remains the same so I'm happy with that. I don't know a grinner so no worries there!

That leads me onto knots, I've been lazy and using pretied hooks to nylon (preston P36) am I right in thinking most people tie their hooklength to a swivel and attach that to the mainline? If so what knots on the swivel, a palomar for the fluoro and an overhand for the mono? :confused:

Also if using a swivel does this weigh down the link compared to just tying mono to mono?

Told you I had a ton of questions.

AL :eek:

For me:
Palomar for swivel to the main line.
Loop to swivel for the hook link.

Don't like flouro for knotless knot.

I do it the same as Gary above. Only instead of a normal swivel, i've started using the ones which are shaped like a sheperds crook at one end, instead of the normal eye. After attatching the loop of the hooklength over the crook, i then slide a tail rubber over the crook. It makes it so much quicker to change hooklengths if neccesary. I've found the long thin rubbers make by Korda to be the best fit. It also acts as a boom to prevent tangles. :)

I have, certainly with flouro and flouro coated mono,s, found the Mahseer knot far more reliable, so use it for all knots to mono & flouro.As the Tackle Box line tests show, most flouro,s break below there stated BS, best be aware of this when buying, if you need 10lb BS, then buy 12lb etc.
peter

I have, certainly with flouro and flouro coated mono,s, found the Mahseer knot far more reliable, so use it for all knots to mono & flouro.As the Tackle Box line tests show, most flouro,s break below there stated BS, best be aware of this when buying, if you need 10lb BS, then buy 12lb etc.
peter

Got to use the Mahseer knot if you ever use pre-stretched mono.

All i do know is that a good fluoro has limited stretch compared to mono, knots wise i wouldnt use a grinner, if i was you...

Agreed, Jon, and that's why fluoro appears to break at a lower b.s. compared to mono, fluoro has a tendency to break on a "snatch" - no joke intended.

Thanks for all the responses people, I've been practising a few knots and really struggled with the grinner. I've tied a few knotless knots with the fluoro and they seem strong enough but then I haven't pitted them against a double yet.

With all the options it sounds like personal preference and that no way is necessarily wrong or right but these things are based on experience so I guess that's the best way to go. Stupidly I though there may be a definitive answer!

Now to explore the Mahseer.

Regards
Al

Back