• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Float Rod

Gary Downie

Been doing a bit of research on a rod suitable for trotting and general float use.
I like the idea of a dual length rod for different situations.

Thinking about a Shakespeare Superteam LXL 13-17.

Appreciate any comments good or bad.

Nope haven't used them personally but I had a quick Google and can't really see a problem with the rod with the provision that you do not expect to meet a barbel of more than 8lb or so, you will come unstuck at about that point.

If you think you might come across larger barbel then I would use an Avon rod.

Anyone know different ?

I would suggest a heavy float rod of 13/14 feet quite a few around or go with Andys avon type rod for bigger specimens and choose your line/braid to suit...

ps What about that 15 footer in the classified section?

Last edited:
Gary - Mark Swaby on the Colne river thread (other site) rates these rods and he's a good angler. Might be worth dropping him a PM.

Best
David

Hi Gary,
I have a few rods in the rack in the garage. A 13ft IM9 for the chub, (this blank is the mutt's bo44ocks), a 15ft Bob James, (not my rod, a friend who lives away), for the larger rivers, but when I'm trotting out and out for barbel I use a 13ft Harrison Float because the blank has the backbone.

Merry Christmas :)

Ian

i can recommend these rods ,purposely designed for the job .hard too find these days

this John wilson barbel trotter rod (13ft) on E-bay

Jw barbel trotter

i've half a mind too get this one myself ,but i've a eye on a 15ft "oxygen" rod from dragoncarp ,i've the 13 spliced tipped model and its great so i'm going too get its 15ft bigger brother for the barbel and big chub on the float ,hopefully a bit cheaper in the new year sales

l_AV678.jpg

i have one of bfws stepped up trotter rods of 15ft and although only using it a couple of times have total confidence it will handle anything it hooks barring cats or big carp maybe, other good thing is the feelgood factor,
order one and you,ll feel a bit itchy waiting to get on the river with it, Bob makes em look so good and thats sincere guys....john

I bought a Korum 13ft power float rod rated for 4-8lb lines, and can honestly say although i've only used it a handfull of times that it performs well and has plenty of poke if needed and also it doesn't look over the top or too tarty if you get me?
Def worth a look at.

Assuming that you don't need the long length then you could do a lot worse than a Drennan Tench Rod, the early MKs still turn up on ebay for quite reasonable prices.

I was going to suggest the Drennan Tench rod myself, i've had barbs to just under double figures on this rod and use it for a lot of my trotting be it barbel, chub, roach and dace etc ;)

Gary Downie;829 Thinking about a Shakespeare Superteam LXL 13-17. Appreciate any comments good or bad.[/QUOTE said:
I actually just sold one of these on e bay. Great rod, bit on the light side for Barbel. But for general river fishing with lines from 2-6lb it is a great tool and works at both lengths. A good price as well. I usually just use a 1 1/4 lb 12 ft Avon for Barbel trotting, which is OK for smaller rivers, and means I cam up the line strength to something sensible...but it isn't as good as a real dedicated float rod.

I fish for Barbel on the float all the time, I use a number of different rods, the best one that I have used is a Drennan Tench Float Mk III with the sliding reel seat rings ( I don't like Fugi style reel seats as you cannot move them).
This rod performs well in conjunction with a pin, so far I have never had a float caught Barbel above 12lb but I have taken Pond Pigs to over 20lb from a restricted swim and the rod performs well with lines up to 8lb.

The real test is, if I were to smash the rod would I go and replace it?
The answer is yes, I would, but I would prefer a second hand MK III rather than buy a new MKIV.

MK III Tench Float is a lovely rod.

I had one myself but was torn between it and the Preston Carbonactive 12' 9" power float. In the end, for me, the carbonactive won, but I still sometimes wish I'd kept the tench float, too. I had lots of lovely, memorable fish on it.

The Carbonactive is worth a look though, seriously. A really nice rod.

Back