• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Float rod and reel recommendations

Jameel Khan

I know it's a liitle late in the season , or is it ? . I'm looking for a float rod and reel to target of course barbel . Even as a kid would i fish a lead or a feeder , as i do today and really would like to give it a go . I've heard so many speak highly of the method , more so on here . Anyways as said i'd be grateful to anyone for any advice on the rod choice , length and make . Was looking at Mark Tunley's Harrison Dark Carbon at 14ft . Again reel choice . Are centre pins advisable, and is it worth paying asking price on a decent one . I'd like to get the setup right first time round and don't mind shelling out abit , within reason , so again would be very grateful to any one for their advice and comments . Many thanks .

Jameel, depends on your budget, lots of choice. Look at Cadence, their rods and reels good value and plenty of choice in the float rod range. I use one of their 14’ #3 rods for trotting for barbel along with some others.

I have 2 rods that I'm happy to use for barbel float fishing, a Greys Prodigy TXL in 13' and a Preston Innovations Excel in 15', both happy coupled with 8lb line and either a medium fixed spool or a centrepin depending on the swim and length of cast required.

Thanks to you all for taking the time to post . Clearly so many to choose from , as to why i'm unsure .
Jameel there is only 1 rod to consider as Terry said the Freespirit 15ft Hi s power float rod. I prefer fixed spool reels you need a wide spool fast retrieve.
Could you recommend a reel please kevin .

There's certainly no need to spend a lot of money on a centerpin and indeed the Okuma Sheffield is great. Personally I dislike the on off ratchet knob which needs two hands to operate, one to hold the rod and one to operate the knob and it's quite heavy at 280 grams (10 oz). It's also quite expensive at around £150.
A far better alternative for a beginner, or anyone else who wants the lightest good quality centerpin reel on the market is the TFG Classic which can be picked up for about £60 or less. Also single handed operation of the ratchet IIRC. Also it's only 202 grams. Weight is VERY important if you're holding the rod all day.
With the length of most decent trotting rods over 12' the balance is also ultra important as some long rods can be a bit top heavy. Best to test anything you're considering with the reel on to see how it feels.
Personally if I was trotting for good sized Barbel I'd use my 13' Acolyte or the 13' Carp waggler if heavy pressure was needed in the circumstances. Acolytes appear to be too flimsy but they're not. Mind you I wouldn't use it for Salmon and the Carp waggler gets an airing. If you don't mind setting up a 3 piece every time, without doubt the Drennan Super Tench float would be my first choice. They crop up on Ebay occasionally.
Good luck with it and search the forum for the Keith Speer float fishing for Barbel article.

There's certainly no need to spend a lot of money on a centerpin and indeed the Okuma Sheffield is great. Personally I dislike the on off ratchet knob which needs two hands to operate, one to hold the rod and one to operate the knob and it's quite heavy at 280 grams (10 oz). It's also quite expensive at around £150.
A far better alternative for a beginner, or anyone else who wants the lightest good quality centerpin reel on the market is the TFG Classic which can be picked up for about £60 or less. Also single handed operation of the ratchet IIRC. Also it's only 202 grams. Weight is VERY important if you're holding the rod all day.
With the length of most decent trotting rods over 12' the balance is also ultra important as some long rods can be a bit top heavy. Best to test anything you're considering with the reel on to see how it feels.
Personally if I was trotting for good sized Barbel I'd use my 13' Acolyte or the 13' Carp waggler if heavy pressure was needed in the circumstances. Acolytes appear to be too flimsy but they're not. Mind you I wouldn't use it for Salmon and the Carp waggler gets an airing. If you don't mind setting up a 3 piece every time, without doubt the Drennan Super Tench float would be my first choice. They crop up on Ebay occasionally.
Good luck with it and search the forum for the Keith Speer float fishing for Barbel article.
Alot of good info there Paul i'm sure , thnkyou . Unfortunately my local shops have such a limited stock on such things so as for getting a feel of things befor buying is unlikely , as to why your post is greatly appreciated . Did pick up a 13ft acolyte at one point , and like you said it did feel a little flimsy . Thanks again for your time Paul .

Jameel, I’ve got the 15ft Acolyte SU and have landed double figure barbel on it. It’s very light and I pair it with an old narrow drum Soeedia.

Alot of good info there Paul i'm sure , thnkyou . Unfortunately my local shops have such a limited stock on such things so as for getting a feel of things befor buying is unlikely , as to why your post is greatly appreciated . Did pick up a 13ft acolyte at one point , and like you said it did feel a little flimsy . Thanks again for your time Paul .
Edit, the Acolyte to use for Barbel is the plus models.
Yes, it does and is a great silverfish rod with the light weight and the fine tip. Hook into something like a Barbel or Carp though and it can really apply the pressure. Can't say I've ever thought I needed something heavier duty when playing Barbel and I'm fishing the upper Lea which is no more than 2 - 3 rod lengths wide and keeping fish away from far bank reeds and snags is frequently necessary. Incidentally I'm using braid and a pin. My Acolyte is the 13' compact PLUS. I'd agree the ultra would be a bit light.

Thats good to hear Neil . As said the Acolyte is the only rod i've been able to look at , not sure if it was the su version tho . Gonna look into it tho mate , thanks .

Edit, the Acolyte to use for Barbel is the plus models.
Yes, it does and is a great silverfish rod with the light weight and the fine tip. Hook into something like a Barbel or Carp though and it can really apply the pressure. Can't say I've ever thought I needed something heavier duty when playing Barbel and I'm fishing the upper Lea which is no more than 2 - 3 rod lengths wide and keeping fish away from far bank reeds and snags is frequently necessary. Incidentally I'm using braid and a pin. My Acolyte is the 13' compact PLUS. I'd agree the ultra would be a bit light.
I have the same rod it’s a beautiful tool and average size upper lea barbel I’m sure it could tame. I wouldn’t describe it as a proper barbel rod though. There are More suitable tools for the bigger barbel out there imo.

Back