• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Float making

Do any of you float makers sell any floats ? i would love to learn how to make my own but its just not possible at the moment .

what type of float ,you intrested in ?

as i've some crowquill avons and in the final stages of doing a lot of avon on cane in three sizes

DSCF1722.jpg
DSCF1606-5.jpg

or is there something special you require ?

Nothing special for me , just some hand made floats for trotting on the wye , what would you advise and how much ? say in batches of 10-15 many thanks Graham.

Me and a friend are making floats, cane rods and other traditional tackle at the moment. We have a website designed but just putting the finishing touches to our business plans right now before we make it live.

Bit of a shameless plug but we have many handmade floats ready for sale or they can be made to order. Here's a taster...

Avons.jpg

Bobbersimg.jpg

wagglersimg.jpg

stickimg.jpg

PM me if anyone is interested.

Cheers
Adam

Nothing special for me , just some hand made floats for trotting on the wye , what would you advise and how much ? say in batches of 10-15 many thanks Graham.

i'd go for avons ,in verious sizes ,types and colours too suite differing conditions ,when i have floats for myself i have one in each coloured tip and as they're held on with float rubbers its easy too change floats without upsetting shotting .

i do orange ,red ,yellow tip colours ,with black as a optional colour ,at the moment i can have ,cane stemed avons & crowquill avons ,both have balsa bodies as in the pictures above (cork and styrofoam bodies will be available soon) and all the same price £3 inc P&P i't would take me about a week or so too complete the cane avons & crow quills ,as i work so only do them at night

if you want some floats strait away , do have some medium sized crowquills in either half painted or clean bodied style.
photo of them in production last year ,now completed they take between 6-8 bb ,i'd have too check how many of each i have left
DSCF1608.jpg

i also have a few odd floats left
DSCF1538.jpg

i'll get pictures of all the ready made floats up tomorrow

Last edited:

might not be 10 -15 floats but these ones here are worth a go at

Box set of river floats ,in aid of help for heroes ,on e-bay

these are most excellent quallity floats ,beautifully handmade

Those are the handy work of George Lockhart and an extremely worthy cause.

I know ,i even put a bid in myself upto the £30 mark but its been supassed now,i recommended them to graham because if he was too buy any this week ,in this instance i'd rather he tried too buy these ,and if he wasn't sucessfull then i'd offer too supply what he wanted .

Thanks steve for the recommendation and also for the bid, and Thanks to everyone who has bidded also Im appreciative of all your efforts Thank You.

Great thread. Certainly something to keep me amsued over the close season.

Got some porcupine quills on their way to me now.

Simon, did you gather them yourselves as left behind after a pair of fighting wild Loddon porcupines?? :)

They were described on ebay as 'Genuine Loddon Porcupine quill guaranteed to catch monster barbel'.

He wouldn't lie would he?

easyier & cheaper too use a portable clamping tabletop vice too hold your drill (or flexable extention) and can be set up anywhare ,kitchen worktop ,dinning room table etc

myimprovisedsetup2.jpg

the only real drawback too using a drill is the noise

Hi Steve

How easy is it to center the float body though? I was thinking it would be easier with a lathe than with a drill alone unless you can tell me an easy way of doing it?

Cheers

Trevor

Back