• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Float and Feeder line

Clive Shipman

Senior Member & Supporter
Float and Feeder line opinions please have tried a few not entirely happy with what I used before. New reels need spooling lines between 3lb to 5lb all opinions greatly excepted.

Having tried all the high tech lines as a mainline for float and feeder fishing I ended up going back to tried and tested options. For feeder fishing I use daiwa sensor up the 6lb and have found it to be better than many of the more expensive options.
It's cheap enough on a bulk spool so that its no great loss to respool whenever needed. Another option is pro gold, a bit more pricey but very good especially in the higher breaking strains as sensor gets a bit springy above 6Lb.
For float fishing I have gone back to Maxima, very reliable and withstands the sliding of shot up and down the line when fine tuning your setup, got fed up with other lines ending up pigtailed when moving shot around.
Obviously line is a personal preference thing as Rhys is not a fan of sensor.
Preston reflo powerline for hook lengths everytime though.
Fred

In fairness it might just need a few chucks with a twist buster lead, but it's very twisted after the few yards and struggles to get through the rod rings when trotting.

Hi Rhys,
I found sensor to be not good on the float but fine on the feeder.
Line twist is an ongoing issue due to the nature of fixed spool reels. After trying various ways to load line on my spools I have found the following works best for me.
Place the spool of line on a table so that the line comes of the spool in an anti clockwise direction and then wind on the reel applying just enough pressure to get a nice line lay on the reel spool.
Hope this does not come over as stating the obvious :)
Fred

Cheers Fred, I do tend to let the line come off the spool as freely as possible when loading a reel, whether that comes off anticlockwise or not I've not noticed. I've heard people say about soaking the line in warm water, not tried this yet.

Still using Maxima whenever I need a sinking line for float fishing. I've tried many alternatives over the years but always go back to it.

For trotting, where I want a genuine floating line, I've been experimenting over the last year or two due to the demise of Ultima Flo-Cast. Kamasan Bayer Perlon has been my choice of monos. However, despite initial misgivings, I've ended up happily using Powerpro braid. I always use it in conjunction with micro-swivels and lighter mono hooklinks.

I've been using Silstar Match Team for my float fishing, on the reels and with lighter hook lengths, for many years and despite trying several alternatives, have yet to find anything better.
I also use it in 7.9lb for light feeder work, but prefer something more substantial like Sensor for heavier feeder fishing. I also tried the finer 6lb Hyper Sensor as an alternative to 7.9 Match Team for my chub fishing last winter, and that also seemed pretty good.

Have been using ultima flocast mainline for float fishing but now unable to get anymore. Will now revert to preston powerline or drennan float fish which seems to be exactly like bayer -same colour, breaking strains and diameters .What ever line you use for float fishing remember to use floating spray on the spool before tacklng up and also to grease/vaseline/lip salve the first 2 meters from the float up,this makes all the difference.On lakes (where you need the line to sink) i use a piece of foam, tye-wrapped to the rod rest and add washing up liquid/water to the foam and spool to make the line sink.Every hour or so put the rod onto the washing up liquid foam and wind in to keep it sinking.

Thanks everyone.

As I've said before the great Keith Speer cannot be doubted on his big fish float fishing ability and he always used Preston Reflo Power on his trusty Okuma centrepin and Drennan Tench Float rod.

On Monday I had two Barbel on the Hants Avon using the above in 7' 6oz 'straight through' and would not use anything else where presentation with power is required;)

Having tried all the high tech lines as a mainline for float and feeder fishing I ended up going back to tried and tested options. For feeder fishing I use daiwa sensor up the 6lb and have found it to be better than many of the more expensive options.
It's cheap enough on a bulk spool so that its no great loss to respool whenever needed. Another option is pro gold, a bit more pricey but very good especially in the higher breaking strains as sensor gets a bit springy above 6Lb.
For float fishing I have gone back to Maxima, very reliable and withstands the sliding of shot up and down the line when fine tuning your setup, got fed up with other lines ending up pigtailed when moving shot around.
Obviously line is a personal preference thing as Rhys is not a fan of sensor.
Preston reflo powerline for hook lengths everytime though.
Fred

Very similar to me Fred - Daiwa sensor for all feeder, carp and pike fishing. Pro gold is very good at 15lb plus for carp and pike. I have not done much float fishing lately so looking for a good line - always used bayer in old days:cool:

Just bought some more Reflo Power Line for my pin. I love the stuff and have confidence using it. The last chub I had on the 0.13 hooklink took me into some branches and I still managed to land it. As a match angler I used it on commercials and realised then how well it coped with abrasion.

Dave

Dave

Back