• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

fixed leads

Garry Howell

Hi - just a thought, do fixed leads work when fishing upstream, I would normally fish a running lead upstream and if the conditions are right a fixed lead downstream. With a short leader I cant see them working. Any thoughts. Garry

I can't see it makes much difference if a (semi) fixed lead is cast upstream or down, it still works the same. The fish spooks against the resistance if the lead, bolts and hooks itself.

The only issue might be if the lead is cast perfectly upstream i.e. the hook-length is lying downstream from the lead alongside the mainline and thus there is the chance of a tangle.

Stephen

Garry I would advice against a fixed rig at all for barbel as they are unable to get rid of the lead if they break the line and end up tethered and dead. Running rigs will work upstream or down and at least the fish only has a hook to shed, and they are pretty good at that, if they break off your line.

Hi men,

We use lead clips , Korda but now Guru for donkey years , we watched them in tap clear water , and this set up is very effective , as they lift the lead up as the bolt taking the lead up with them away from possible rocks etc where there is a possibility of the lead getting jammed up . Never ever had a problem with them . On all our leads and feeders we dispense with swivels , and replace with a small loop of line . This pulls out through the tail rubber easier than a swivel .

Hatter

Garry, it's possible. If you fish tight to the lead.....fish moves off with the bait you get a normal 3ft twitch, if it moves towards you, you get a drop back on the tip.

Re fixed leads, I guess you mean semi fixed, ie, with a lead clip? If so you can set these up so the fish can lose the lead without risk of tethering.
You can of of course fish it semi fixed without a clip fixed but 'drop off' style. You can also fish it inline semi fixed. Check out a decent carp website for these set ups.

Ian

In upstream ledgering the idea is to balance the weight of the lead against the downstream bow of the line in the current. Iin the event of a fish picking up the bait the lead dislodges and the fish will feel no resistance, the angler however will get a very clear indication in the form of a drop-back on his quiver tip (which I failed to mention). This is the one time when fishing for barbel when you do strike but to make the strike effective you have to strike upstream and use the weight of the water against the bow in the line to set the hook and not dowstream as most people would assume.

In upstream ledgering the idea is to balance the weight of the lead against the downstream bow of the line in the current. Iin the event of a fish picking up the bait the lead dislodges and the fish will feel no resistance, the angler however will get a very clear indication in the form of a drop-back on his quiver tip (which I failed to mention). This is the one time when fishing for barbel when you do strike but to make the strike effective you have to strike upstream and use the weight of the water against the bow in the line to set the hook and not dowstream as most people would assume.

Thanks for that Ade. Great piece of advice !

Thanks for all the great comments, all taken on board, and sorry I was talking about semi fixed, that said, the first reply was my worry with the leader being near the main line, I think I'll stick to running leads!

Back