• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing wheels?

David Craine

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi guys, I have just been reading over this thread, and it has got me a thinking .

I am thinking about getting myself a van to cover a few bases, to be a fishing vehicle, for trips to the tip , for general running about in and basically to save the Volvo from getting terminally gunged up inside ( I am a mud magnet ) I dont particularly want an SUV, or similar, just something to open the back doors and hoy in a load of “ stuff”.

I will admit I am a bit lost where vans are concerned, and have no experience of buying or using one , apart from larger rental models for house moves etc . Does anybody here have hands on experience of using a van as described above ?
I have been looking at a Ford Transit Connect which seems to tick the boxes , but would appreciate any other suggestions ,what to look for or avoid like the plague . It wont be used for overnighting , and will not need 4x4 capability.
So long as I can get a 7 ft single length rod in ( 2 section surf rod) it will do , as then it will obviously take my freshwater gear .

Thanks for any imput 👍

David

My mate uses this when he's off Carp fishing, David. He sleeps in it so it'll take a bedchair, and he gets all his kit in it. I believe it's a long wheel based Transit Connect. Not sure about a 7ft rod though.

30dc5ea4-b484-4c29-8049-2c51c5c0e856.jpg

Thanks Simon , I think a standard Connect has a solid bulkhead, I am looking at a Connect that has 3 rear seats so no bulkhead .I think its called a cabstar or something similar .

David

I've had a VW Caddy for 9years and wouldn't swap it. Being a short-arse I sleep in the back. I had the engine remapped and it's pretty economical. I removed the bulkhead and added a pretty good camp-bed system. Great little van.

Nick

David,

I’ve been using a van for fishing for the past twenty years. The convenience of being able to just lug all you stuff in the back without needing to be minimal or even tidy about how you do it is something I’d be loathed to give up.

If finances will stretch to it then I’d suggest a veedub just on account of their reliability. Mine, which I’ve owned from six months old is now 17 years old and has done 285,000 miles and has just sailed through yet another MOT. I was due to replace it two years ago but one of life’s great banana skins happened (serious ill health) and the plan had to be aborted.

Depending on where you live then fuel is obviously a consideration. I suppose it’s inevitable but diesels of a certain age, like mine, are inevitably going to be eventually forced off the road. I’m guessing a transporter is likely to be too big merely for fishing but the caddy Max ( essentially a long wheel base Caddy) might be beneficial if it can take a made up rod in the back and still have a bulkhead.

I,d be going for the caddy maxi too.. most probably the dearest of the small vans but good resale values if you decide to sell it on at a later date
the transit connects (lwb) are meant to be decent too

Keep a look out for ex British Gas vans. They use VW Caddy maxi's and they're regularly serviced and looked after. They occasionally turn up on Autotrader. They're sought after by surfers apparently.

Nick

i use a Velar :)

I have had a couple of Vauxhall Combo's last one was an ex SOCO van with a few extras light's sockets etc. It had less than 20k on the clock and £900 when I bought it... It ended its day's on the banks of the River Arrow with a blown engine.
Miss having a van, great for fishing, dogs, and even moving house.

Hi guys, I have just been reading over this thread, and it has got me a thinking .

I am thinking about getting myself a van to cover a few bases, to be a fishing vehicle, for trips to the tip , for general running about in and basically to save the Volvo from getting terminally gunged up inside ( I am a mud magnet ) I dont particularly want an SUV, or similar, just something to open the back doors and hoy in a load of “ stuff”.

I will admit I am a bit lost where vans are concerned, and have no experience of buying or using one , apart from larger rental models for house moves etc . Does anybody here have hands on experience of using a van as described above ?
I have been looking at a Ford Transit Connect which seems to tick the boxes , but would appreciate any other suggestions ,what to look for or avoid like the plague . It wont be used for overnighting , and will not need 4x4 capability.
So long as I can get a 7 ft single length rod in ( 2 section surf rod) it will do , as then it will obviously take my freshwater gear .

Thanks for any imput 👍

David
The VW vans are pricey, you could try auctions, look for fleet disposals, serviced and clean mostly. VAT a hassle though.

I started out with a 2011 VW Caddy Maxi, unfortunately it was the wrong 1.6 engine variant which had a habit of getting through expensive fuel injectors. It was however the perfect vehicle for my river angling other than the engine issues. It's a bit of a gamble when buying used on how well it's been looked after. As others have said you're probably going to be safer with an ex-fleet vehicle that has had been serviced properly.

When I got tired of returning home on the back of a breakdown truck I upgraded to a new high spec Toyota Proace, medium wheelbase, it's a superb van and a very comfortable drive. A couple of the French companies have their equivalent badged version but when I bought only offered 3 years warranty instead of the Toyota 5 years.

As a van driver you'll soon learn that other van drivers show you courtesy and let you out of junctions etc. a bit of an unwritten code, certainly here in the North!

I find it very convenient to leave much of my gear in the van in between fishing trips, less chance of leaving something behind and it's handy for keeping spare rods etc. when you arrive on location and find conditions different to what you expected requiring a change in tactics.

My FIAT Doblo (1.6 diesel, 5 seats) has been good for the last 12 years. As well as taking much fishing tackle, etc., it towed our caravan well with a dinghy on the roof bars. Even fully loaded I can still just about find space for my wife's stuff when going on holiday!

Transit custom for me.

Just a word of caution as I know people who have been caught out - for a non car-derived van the speed limit on dual carriageway A-roads is 60 not 70 when in national speed limit areas and 50 on single-lane A-roads! I used to travel the A1/A1(M) a heck of a lot and trying to remember whether I was in 60 or 70 zones in between signage having identified a lesser-spotted traffic cop was sometimes challenging at 0200hrs after a busy day on the Trent!

I was tempted by a Skoda Scout which is an Octavia estate but with 4wd & more ground clearance. Popular with NHS fleets - might be able to get a decent one, some have minor adapations which might not matter much. Ended up with my Subaru & happy with it for a few years now.

Back