• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

fishing rig Scissors

Gerry Giles

Senior Member & Supporter
on another forum I belong to people were recommending some needlework Scissors with out the fishing tax on I bought a pair they were right they are the nuts

Westcott Titanium Fine Point Needlework Scissors they do them in straight tip or curved tip

Last edited:
Those scissors look good and value for money.

As I am now a posh git indulging in some dry fly fishing on an estate my chum Charles suggested I simply must get a pair of mini nail clippers for trimming line ,on a retractable cord which pins to your jacket.;)
So he took me for a visit into the Orvis tackle shop , obscene amounts of money spent ,close to tears but I was kitted out,,,,,,, have to say though what a great little gadget, used when I last went barbel fishing , really good.

I use a pair of tiny very sharp electronic side cutters.
The small ones are very sharp and designed to cleanly cut very fine single copper wire strands.
I’ve done the scissors thing and I give up. As soon as you get the slightest amount of play in the hinge point that’s it they are done for especially with braid, it slips down the side and makes the play worse.
The little cutters I think are the perfect tool for cleanly cutting any main line/hook link.

Been using the same pair from Ikea for about 4 years, only replaced as the orange handled ones from the same set got lost. My Mrs didn’t seem to notice she’d lost the black pair... :D

Back