• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing Negotiations

Very amusing thread. Looking forward to reading all the various tactics employed! My girlfriend, Mwangi Akwal, actually says "Are we going fishing tomorrow, as I'll need to get the stuff for the sandwiches?"

I am a very, very lucky boy :D

I love you Mwangi xxx

Neil, she doesn't have a sister by any chance? :p

Another ploy that works for me, is to tell her I'm fishing a new stretch of river, and it needs a lot of time and effort,finding out were the fish are holding up.:D

I'm sure that goes down like a bucket of sick.

Encourage her to have an affair then she'll be glad to get you out of the house....And it'll save you a job.:rolleyes:

My missus says I'm much nicer when I come back from fishing or playing golf so she gives me a free reign most of the time. She's right though, I always feel guilty when I come from fishing/golf (either that or depressed). So shortly after a shower I make an effort to make her a cup of tea and have a cuddle...and we all know what they lead too ;)

Originally Posted by Howard Hutchins
Seems a few here are well under the thumb......Grow some balls,
and get a life!!!

...or a sense of humour.

Would only be funny,if the previous posts diddent have an element of truth
in them.......no smoke without fire,and sadly have one or two friends who
get earache about going fishing from wives.
Even sadder have had the same from a couple of exes,but had the balls to say
bye bye to them,and find better.

So like i said earlier........Grow some :mad:

I assume your current woman hides the bruises while she keeps the cave nice and tidy Howard.....

Cheers, Dave.

Not sure what you mean about bruises dave,perhaps your wife has a few,
mine doesent.
She also dont need permission to buy new clothes,shoes bags ect,or go
on trips and hols with her friends.

More to the point.......nor do i, as it happens,fish not so often now,but were i to go three times a week,it wouldent be a problem to her,life is to short to
put restrictions on a partner.......cept if you cant afford to do something.

Though have had earache from her,to do more walking and give up fags,
happy with that though

howard, one thing you will learn from women , is that they give a little, but expect a lot,

Last edited:
howard,, like rick it made me laugh, i would tell her, cos if she catches you comming in with other clothes than you fishing close, she might come up with 3+3 = 7, another woman, and you will have a lot of naughty questions thrown at you, and even if you have a mate, she will think he s siding with you ,????, and then she think ure telling porkys,

Not everyones solution, but bought mine a horse (after she decided she wanted one of course);)
And as I'm sure anyone with a wife that rides could tell you(Steady Tiger), they become an all encompassing passion:rolleyes:
Which leaves me to go fishing when I want, but if she moans I lay on the financial guilt trip good and thick which usually shuts her up;)

Well if i'n planning a midweek session i usually tell her i'm going, as for weekends she just assumes i am, unless i say otherwise :D

If she has got somewhere she was us to go, or something to do together, then thats fine, and we do on ocassion, but she knows i wont be staying in holding hands, and eating popcorn with her to watch X Factor or some rubbish .... ;)

Ian.

Well if i'n planning a midweek session i usually tell her i'm going, as for weekends she just assumes i am, unless i say otherwise :D

If she has got somewhere she was us to go, or something to do together, then thats fine, and we do on ocassion, but she knows i wont be staying in holding hands, and eating popcorn with her to watch X Factor or some rubbish .... ;)

Ian.

You give X factor AND popcorn up for fishing :eek: Damn....you must have will power of iron Ian :D

Cheers, Dave.

The variety of reply provides clear evidence of a rich and diverse culture running through our fine country. There is no right or wrong approach, just what works. We have extremes within a spectrum of strategies. We have "like it or lump it" or "darling, I've bought you a horse! Right, I off fishing for a week". Then there is "Babe, did I mention I am up for an open marriage? Anyway, let me introduce you to my good friend Carlos-he is of Latin origin. Right, I off fishing for a week, enjoy!". There is my own, the informal, not directly spoken about, points system. We clearly all do what we can. Interestingly, no one seems to employ a strategy of engineering an argument in which one's good lady (or gentleman) ends by saying "just get out of my sight you utter sh*t". Here, I imagine its vital to have loaded the car with your fishing stuff BEFORE the argument starts (which could be by saying stuff like "don't you think you are a little old to be wearing something so, well, fitted?") otherwise your swift and hurtful exit will look a little hollow if you spend the next 20 mins sorting out your stuff and bait. For most of us, the constant need to maintain some degree of harmony within the household, combined with work commitments, the weather, otters, other fisherman in our favourite swims etc makes fishing hard work. This is even before you have dangled a bait in the river. No wonder I seldom catch anything.

well howard, quite eights all the above have to be taken inconcideration, lol

Back