• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing in the Cold Rain

Ian Hugo Arnott

Today a friend, a very fine angler and rod builder, and I fished a normally prolific fishery. The whole morning, although we had planned to fish the entire day, dawn 'till dusk, was so cold and gloomy, that despite the excellent tea and brunch, prepared by my companion, we decided to follow F. J Taylor'S maxim, " I will be glad when I have had enough of this! "

Thus we departed to the warm and dry, vowing never to fish in the cold rain again!

Hugo

Some days are like that. I've had rainy winter days stood up t my waist in the Wharfe and felt fine. Other days even sheltering on dry land under a bridge the cold strikes through and I felt miserable and lacking in confidence. Time to go home.

When it gets through to you then fishing is no fun and that's why we go after all. Better luck next time.

I fished the Wharfe in freezing fog this morning. The only semblance of action was an otter swimming past me, completely unpeturbed.

Of course as soon as Test Match Special had finished, i was delighted to be away ;)

Today a friend, a very fine angler and rod builder, and I fished a normally prolific fishery. The whole morning, although we had planned to fish the entire day, dawn 'till dusk, was so cold and gloomy, that despite the excellent tea and brunch, prepared by my companion, we decided to follow F. J Taylor'S maxim, " I will be glad when I have had enough of this! "

Thus we departed to the warm and dry, vowing never to fish in the cold rain again!

Hugo

Just one good fish from a day to remember......

time of year

worst time rain ,dark damp nights,cold ,and them bloody leaves,another few weeks and we will be used to it. until then we will keep moaning!:rolleyes:

gulliver

worst time rain ,dark damp nights,cold ,and them bloody leaves,another few weeks and we will be used to it. until then we will keep moaning!:rolleyes:

i've just had one mon texting me are you going on the ribble today:eek:
i checked the river levels and there's 1.25 metres of cold rain going through upriver along with the remaining leaves:(
needless to say i said only a idiot would be out in that(let me know how you get on):D

i've just had one mon texting me are you going on the ribble today:eek:
i checked the river levels and there's 1.25 metres of cold rain going through upriver along with the remaining leaves:(
needless to say i said only a idiot would be out in that(let me know how you get on):D

There is 3 fishing at the side of the a64 road bidge at york on the ouse not long before it is over flood bank.wharf is right to the top stop raining in york

Last edited:
Back